toPhonetics Converter 4+
English Phonetic Transcription
Designed for iPad
Got an English text and want to see how to pronounce it? This app will turn your English text into its phonetic transcription using International Phonetic Alphabet.
- See phonetic transcription of the whole text, not just the dictionary forms of separate words.
- Choose between British and American* pronunciation. When British dialect is selected the [r] sound at the end of the word is only voiced if followed by a vowel, which follows British phonetic convention.
- International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) symbols used.
- The structure of the text and sentences in it (line breaks, punctuation marks, etc.) is preserved in phonetic transcription output making it easier to read.
- You can output the text and its phonetic transcription along each other line-by-line to make back-reference to the original text easier.
- An option to vary pronunciation depending on whether words are in stressed or weak position in the sentence, as in connected speech.
- In addition to commonly used vocabulary the database contains a very substantial amount of place names (including names of countries, their capitals, US states, UK counties), nationalities and popular names.
- Where a word has a number of possible pronunciations (highlighted in blue in the output) you can select the one that agrees with the context by tapping on it.
- Print out the output results, share via email or copy to pasteboard.
- Let the built-in speech synthesiser read your text out loud. Control the playback and follow IPA transcription of the current word with a highlight.
- Custom URL scheme to open toPhonetics from 3rd-party apps.
Gestures (IPA transcription screen):
1. Single tap
- Tap a word to set the cursor to it and speak it (you can mute/un-mute it with the button at your bottom-right).
- Tap in a blank space to stop speech and hide the cursor.
- Double-tap a word to open it in the built-in dictionary; if the word has multiple pronunciations you'll see the list of them first.
- Double-tap in a blank space to reset the font to the size set in iOS preferences.
3. Pinch in or out to make the text smaller or larger.
4. Start to slide horizontally to select a part of your text. The Speak button respects current selection.
*) American transcriptions are based on the open Carnegie Mellon University Pronouncing Dictionary.
- removed Simplified character set;
- added new character set option for American dialect to indicate vowel length and rhotacized diphthongs;
- replaced ascii "g" with IPA's /ɡ/ in transcriptions;
- massive dictionary update;
Ratings and Reviews
This is so what I need.
For poetry analysis, this is what I'm looking for. Will recommend it to others. Baffled by any 1 star reviews.
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS APP!!!
Hiii!! To quickly introduce myself, I’m a Speech-Language Pathologist Assistant with almost a decade of work experience in this field of effective communications. HOWEVER, immediately after I graduated with my Bachelor’s degree, I was hired to work as a home-health therapist assistant for 7+ years, but needed a drastic change. So, now I work as a school-based SLP-Assistant contractor.
Now that I’ve become more aware of how seriously unintelligible I sound as a specialist, whenever I cannot accurately pronounce advanced words from English literature books, and/or medical terminology books. Let’s get the point that I was in dire need of this type of phonetic transcription app, in order to double and triple check different articulation goals.
To the amazing app creators who might happen to read this review, THANK YOU SO EXTRAORDINARILY MUCH!! You’re about to be known as my top recommended apps!!!
The voice to text/IPA is fantastic on this app. So much better than apple iPhone speech to text. This app gets all of the text correct and the transcription is spot on! Only wish it transcribed the American 'r' inverted as it should be in IPA. Now if we could only use speech to text feature to instantly transcribe speech sound disorders!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Mu-sonic Ltd
- 21.4 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2013 Mu-sonic Ltd
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.