To be able to read and provide accurate transcriptions of speech sounds is the most fundamental and yet most demanding task facing students of language and linguistics. This App has a unique interface for exploring the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).
- Practice consonants and vowels with this fun and interatcive app.
- Clear graphic, audio and textual descriptions of speech sounds.
- Comprehensive coverage of the consonants, vowels and tonal symbols. Press on the symbols in the charts to see and hear them.
- Cross-section animations illustrate the articulations of the speech sounds.
Updated the app icon.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I am educating myself in various topics including correct language articulation as this is vital in vocal communication. Dictionaries use a phonetic alphabet, utilizing characters from type sets of mechanical printing presses for correct pronunciation, which forms a unique language that later developed into the International Phonetic Alphabet.
AV Phonetics offers full comprehension of the International Phonetic Alphabet with charts, audio, animation, and interactive elements; with no required fee or advertisements..
I offer my gratitude and appreciation for this excellent and admirable educational reference application.
This app is amazing! The interface is neat and it's quite helpful to see the spectrogram. I just wish the pronunciation of non-pulmonic sounds can be added in the future.
- Apps Resource Centre, Hong Kong Baptist University
- 90.8 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2017 Resource Centre for Ubiquitous Learning & Integrated Pedagogy
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.