Touch Notation is a powerful musical score creation app that allows anyone to enjoy writing music using touch gestures.
In Japan, Touch Notation was selected as one of the ‘App Store Best of 2014’ apps, and held the No.1 spot in the iPad Paid App index for music apps for over two weeks.
Up until now, musical score creation software has relied upon dragging individual notes from a palette onto staves. By contrast, Touch Notation allows musicians to draw directly onto the score using a finger or touch pen, and have their work immediately appear as beautifully written notation, then played back using the app’s 30 built-in instrument voices.
- A wide-range of functions accessible from a cleanly designed, intuitive user interface.
- Ability to enter musical expressions for adjusting tempo and dynamics.
- Layout functions such as page breaks.
- Convenient transpose feature for raising/lowering the pitch of the entire score.
- Output scores using Air Print, or save to Dropbox in PDF, SMF, MusicXML, and ScoreMaker formats.
Touch Notation allows the following musical symbols to be entered by hand:
- Note, Rest (including dotted and double-dotted), Long Rest, Beam, Tuplet (Triplet)
- Grace Note
- Accidental, Tie, Slur
- Accent, Staccato, Tenuto, Fermata
- Trill, sfz, Arpeggio, Pedal, Senza
- Metronome symbol
- Crescendo, Decrescendo
- Dynamics symbols (ppp~fff)
- Octave symbol
- Repeat brackets
- Repeat marks (D.C./Fine/D.S./Segno/Coda/to Coda)
- Clefs (Treble Clef/Bass Clef/C Clef/Percussion Clef)
- Key signature
- Time signature
- Bar lines (repeat marks)
Lyrics and other musical expressions (‘Dolce’, ‘Tranquillo’, etc.) can be added using text input, while comments and memos can also be written freehand directly onto the score.
* Drum notation is supported, but other types such as rhythm notation and tab notation are not supported.
* Older devices may experience stuttering when playing complicated scores with many simultaneous notes.
Fixed an issue that prevented lyrics from outputting when exporting to PDF or printing.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app - needs update for 2018 iPad Pros
Have been using this app for on the go composing. Very useful once you get comfortable with the input methods. However this needs an update for the new iPad Pros (2018) so the app will display edge to edge. Also with the iPad Pros now supporting midi keyboards, note input via an external midi keyboard would be game changing.
A powerful tool if you take the time to learn how to use it
Very frustrating at times, but over all this app is very well worth the price for all the features it offers. Devs: please keep working on this! It has huge potential if the kinks can be sorted out.
Easy to use
Great playback function
Works well with Apple Pencil
Very flexible with what and how you write
Gesture recognition is hit-or-miss
Unable to format text
Unable to erase handwriting
In-app videos no longer work after a recent iOS update
For those having trouble copying and pasting: you can copy entire measures by double tapping and dragging to select all the measures you want to copy. Then double tap and drag to highlight an equal number of empty measures where you want to paste your notes. The notation will copy exactly without having to move stuff around.
Potential to be phenomenal, but... Can no longer export
EXPORT FAILS - by any method.
What kind of notating software allows one to use an SATB template but not enter lyrics?
I’ve paid for the whole package, and no lyrics? Massive shortcoming.
1. Cannot search the help utility by keyword. Many sub-level menu items hidden under parent items but not listed in tree form in the table of contents.
2. Cannot export Midi ‘parts’.
3. Cannot export mp3 renderings of Midi.
4. Cannot specify beginning measure number.
5. Copy and paste an expression - THEN BE ABLE TO EDIT THE EXPRESSION, else have to create new every time and unify format, say, if one is creating measure numbers because program lacks item 4 above.
6. Do NOT link song listing to Title property. If I wish to maintain several revisions, I should not have to edit the Title in order to tell the difference between versions.
- Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- 117.8 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2014-2020 Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Chord Name & Automatic Accompaniment $4.99
- Sound Set: Full $4.99
- Handwritten Font $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.