a touch-based soundscaper
Touchscaper is an instrument designed for anyone who wants to make music on their iPad simply by touching the screen. You don’t have to be a serious musician to enjoy touchscaper, but if you are, touchscaper is highly configureable under the hood.
• Multi-touch based interface with “radar”, “ribbon” and keyboard surfaces
• Touch the screen to play a note, move your fingers to change the sound
• Semi-generative engine selects the “good notes” for you
• Touch movement can control volume and pan for each individual note
• Total control over chords, keys and scales (fully chromatic)
• Multiple chords can be generated from keys and scales to create “scenes”
• Chord "navigator" helps you create inspiring chord progressions
• 40 built-in sounds can be combined in 2 layers to create “instruments”
• Built-in sounds include samples from moodscaper, pianoscaper, numerous analog synths and guitars
• Comes with preset example scenes and instruments
• Random instrument generator function with one tap of a button
• Hold and orbit modes for hands-free evolving soundscapes
• Ribbon style keyboard with touch vibrato
• Chord looper with Ableton Link support
• Arrangement view for longer / more complex chord progressions
• 16 step probability-based sequencer for touch, drums, percussion and synth automation
• "jam grid" sequencer view for live performances
• Supports file sharing for scenes and instruments
• Built-in effects including ping-pong delays, reverb, limiter and EQ
• Supports IAA (Inter-App Audio) as a generator
• Control other music apps using MIDI out and CCs with optional MPE support
There are several demo videos in circulation which should give you a better idea of what touchscaper can do - just search for “touchscaper” or check out the moodscaper YT channel.
For more information or to get in touch, please visit www.touchscaper.com
• Updated Ableton Link SDK
This update should fix sync issues or cases where touchscaper is not being recognised by other Link-enabled apps and vice versa.
PLEASE NOTE: The first time you enable Link, you may see a permissions alert asking for confirmation to allow touchscaper to access your network. This is solely to support Link and is basically how Link enables apps to communicate.
Ratings and Reviews
Absolutely Love touchscaper❣️
This completes what I’ve bought from Rob. Will write more later after I’ve digested touchscaper but...!
Hold Mode design is real awkward. Especially if you consider the importance of note placement re: Pan, Volume, Simple/Complex chord and High/Low probability of root notes played. Since one hand is tied up activating the feature AFTER already touch/holding the desires areas of the Radar Screen (and holding still, you’re much left with touch patterns of a single note or a 2 to 5 finger tip arch. Could Hold Mode be made a toggle on/off feature that you can add/subtract notes held and where (along with their respective animations, etc). We really need to be able to interact with Hold Mode dynamically. To be able to nudge the node placements, to ‘fine tune’. To be able to ‘tweak’! 🤓 🙏
I like this sooo much better than Wotja Pro. I’m sure Wotja Pro can do some truly amazing things but it’s more like working with a huge Moog Modular Synth vs Mini Moog Model-D. Touchscaper is the Moog Model-D. Deceptively simple looking.
PS-I’ve had touchscaper running for as long as 10 hours straight before it lost it’s mind and all the control animations started running wild! Kind of like ‘the exorcist’ but for synths.
Developer Response ,
Hi and many thanks for the support and great review. I really like your hold toggle idea so will aim to add that as an option in an upcoming release. I'll also look into the "demonic possession" issue :-) - most strange! Thanks for the heads-up on that. -Rob
A lot of variables and so much potential
I have a suggestion for my wish list. I would like an attack vector like one that’s used in an ADSR type function. I really don’t care about having a sustain and delay function. I’m most interested in being able to slow down the Attack so that I can get nice fades or even a backward sound. A variable Release would be second suggestion. By shortening the release you could get more staccato like effects.
I own all your products and they’re all great! This one is literally pushing the envelope for creativity.
Developer Response ,
Many thanks for the great review - much appreciated. I'll certainly keep these suggestions in mind for future updates. In the meantime, the following info might be useful if you don't already know: You have limited control over the attack characteristics from the instrument view with options of "soft", "medium" and "hard". You can also do full-range volume swells controllable with touch movement by settings the voice "Touch volume" setting to max (full-range arrow). There are also a few staccato-type sounds denoted as "one shot" in the voice list that might get you close to where you want to be sound-wise. I'll certainly keep full ADSR editing support in mind though. Best, -Rob
I rarely write reviews but I had to for this one. Easy to use and a lot of flexibility behind the scene. I’m spending more time with it but it already became my go-to app for creation of backing tracks on the fly. The only thing I miss is a light background theme in the UI - I’m one of those unfortunate people with migraines triggered by contrasting colors on dark backgrounds. Amazing tool
Developer Response ,
Many thanks for the great review - much appreciated. Thanks also for highlighting this UI issue. I can confirm that in the next version (1.3.9) there will be a light monochrome theme option - predominantly, black and contrasting shades of grey on a white or optional near-white background. I've shared a screenshot on the touchscaper FB page.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Rob Jackson
- 375.8 MB
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Rob Jackson 2019
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.