Tracing Projector is your personal portable drawing and composition tool.
Having Tracing Projector is like always having a sheet of tracing paper with you! Choose any image you'd like to draw, take a photo, or choose from hundreds of images supplied in the app; then look at your screen while you trace the image on paper!
- Learn to Draw! Learn proportions and important lines by tracing photos of anything! Use several filters to enhance your photo, making it easier to trace.
- Make real one-of-a-kind artwork you can hang on your wall! Send unique greetings on social media! Friends and family will love to see your animated drawings!
- Show off your skills! Record a video while you draw and share it on your favorite social network. Your friends will be amazed! Choose from time-lapse and regular speeds, and include a narrative if you want to.
- Great for face painting or artistic makeup!
- Great for school projects! Need to draw an image from a book on a poster? Trace it!
- Kick-start your painting or portrait! Transfer your idea from a photo to your drawing canvas to get the proportions right.
- Match the Composition! Transfer your plan from a sketch to the scrapbook page or photo wall!
- Challenge yourself to sketch the essence of the image before the timer runs out! Focus on composition and structure. Freehand the fine details afterward, or disable Quick Sketch and trace them directly. (Disabling requires a one-time purchase.)
Several tools make it really easy to trace your image:
- Light Table - lock your screen, turn up the brightness, and trace the image from your screen directly!
- Handheld Mode -- On supported devices, Augmented Reality keeps your tracing image steady while you hold your device at a comfortable angle. (demo video https://youtu.be/YJeK5Sjdi1Q). Requires iOS 11.3 or later on iPhone 6s/6s Plus or iPad Pro and later. Works best on stable horizontal and vertical surfaces with good light and some visible surface detail.
- Lock the camera focus to keep the image steady while you trace.
- Lock the canvas area to keep your layout and alignment while you zoom in to get a close look at your work in progress.
- Several Filter modes enhance your image, increasing contrast to give you a better result.
- Use the flashlight to light up your drawing. (requires Full Version)
- Use the selfie camera and draw on your face. (requires Full Version)
Other features make it fun and easy to share your creations with your friends.
- Video recording in Time Lapse mode to make things smaller and faster and cooler. You can enable normal-speed and audio on the Settings screen.
- The recorded video or snapshot includes a small thumbnail of the tracing image (with an option to turn that off).
- Your videos and snapshots are stored automatically and available to share later from within the app, the Files app, or iTunes.
- Sharing your videos and photos is easy with a preview screen and saved photos/videos!
- Interrupted while recording your drawing? No problem - Combine multiple videos to create a single video for sharing! Use the Edit feature on the Saved Files screen: select two movies and tap Join.
Tracing Projector is Enhanced For 3D Touch! Start right away from the camera or photo album from the home screen! Force-touch on the tracing image to peek at your progress while you draw!
- For best results, stabilize your device above your drawing surface. A stack of books, drinking glass, or tripod works best.
- The app requires access to your camera in order to present its overlay for drawing.
- The app requires access to your photos in order to load an image to trace and to save the video of your drawing.
- The app optionally uses your microphone when recording a video while you draw.
- Hone your sketching skills in quick sketch mode. Challenge yourself to capture the essence of the image before the timer runs out! Focus on composition and structure and freehand the fine details afterward. Access the mode on the settings screen.
- As always, this release includes other usability improvements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
update after myprevious review
After trying out the app and then uofrsding to use the still option it does what it’s supposed to and says it does in the description. took me a while to figure it out because there’s no actual option to activate the still picture mode but instead it popped up in a message to during the projection faze to activate using the tepid method to keep a still picture. i wish this was ambition to choose somewhere instead of getting the whole thing ready and waiting for the pop up to show to activate it because i’ve looked everywhere and don’t see the option. 4 star for now . would like to see i’m provements in the projection parts. sometimes i can’t see what i’m trying to trace but maybe it’s because i don’t have enough lighting or something i don’t know. Thanks to the developers and owners for making such a great app. I use this app to trace designs and pictures for tattoos .
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the positive review and useful feedback! I’m glad you were able to get it working, and will look for ways to make the position sequence more intuitive. Feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have more questions or suggestions.
Not what I expected, was hoping for the ability to display a photo an trace on my iPad
I’m taking up watercolor and want to focus on painting not sketching. I am able to lay 140# watercolor paper on top of my iPad and sketch over photos, however, live view, zoom, and normal touching affects the photo and messes me up. The ad made it look like you could do this, but not so.
Would love a mode that could let you size an image and lock it in so that you can trace over the iPad.
Edit: Now I “get it”. You hold your iPhone above your paper and use VR to superimpose a photo over the drawing area. You can see your paper, pencil, and drawing hand at the same time which allows you to “trace” the photo. The handheld mode is pretty useless for me, I’m going to order an iPhone clamp that will secure my iPhone above my watercolor paper on a lap desk to allow me to trace the outlines before adding color. This, in theory, is quite useful.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.. The upcoming 1.2.11 update adds a new drawing mode that you should find useful. If you have specific suggestions, feel free to reach out to email@example.com.
Really good app!
This app helps me so much when I want to draw anime characters, or anything really, but the thing is, when I’m using the tripod thing, it only gives me 2-3 minutes to do the drawing, which sounds like a lot of time, but it’s kind of hard because then I rush to get the drawing done and it ends up looking extremely sloppy and I can’t even tell what I was trying to draw in the first place. It would be nice if I had 7-9 minutes to draw instead, but I get that you guys need money so you need people to upgrade and pay to have more time, but can you at least give me 5 minutes to complete the drawing or just get the basic things down? Thank you so much and this app is really helpful other than that.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- steve dodge
- 112.2 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2016-2021 Steve Dodge
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Bundle - Best Value! $4.99
- Full Functionality $3.99
- High Quality Video $2.99