Tracing Projector is your personal portable drawing and composition tool.
Having Tracing Projector is like always having a sheet of tracing paper with you! Choose any image you'd like to draw, take a photo, or choose from hundreds of images supplied in the app; then look at your screen while you trace the image on paper!
- Learn to Draw! Learn proportions and important lines by tracing photos of anything! Use several filters to enhance your photo, making it easier to trace.
- Make real one-of-a-kind artwork you can hang on your wall! Send unique greetings on social media! Friends and family will love to see your animated drawings!
- Show off your skills! Record a video while you draw and share it on your favorite social network. Your friends will be amazed! Choose from time-lapse and regular speeds, and include a narrative if you want to.
- Great for face painting or artistic makeup!
- Great for school projects! Need to draw an image from a book on a poster? Trace it!
- Kick-start your painting or portrait! Transfer your idea from a photo to your drawing canvas to get the proportions right.
- Match the Composition! Transfer your plan from a sketch to the scrapbook page or photo wall!
Several tools make it really easy to trace your image:
- Light Table - lock your screen, turn up the brightness, and trace the image from your screen directly!
- Handheld Mode -- On supported devices, Augmented Reality keeps your tracing image steady while you hold your device at a comfortable angle. (demo video https://youtu.be/YJeK5Sjdi1Q). Requires iOS 11.3 or later on iPhone 6s/6s Plus or iPad Pro and later. Works best on stable horizontal and vertical surfaces with good light and some visible surface detail.
- Lock the camera focus to keep the image steady while you trace.
- Lock the canvas area to keep your layout and alignment while you zoom in to get a close look at your work in progress.
- Several Filter modes enhance your image, increasing contrast to give you a better result.
- Use the flashlight to light up your drawing. (requires Full Version)
- Use the selfie camera and draw on your face. (requires Full Version)
Other features make it fun and easy to share your creations with your friends.
- Video recording in Time Lapse mode to make things smaller and faster and cooler. You can enable normal-speed and audio on the Settings screen.
- The recorded video or snapshot includes a small thumbnail of the tracing image (with an option to turn that off).
- Your videos and snapshots are stored automatically and available to share later from within the app, the Files app, or iTunes.
- Sharing your videos and photos is easy with a preview screen and saved photos/videos!
- Interrupted while recording your drawing? No problem - Combine multiple videos to create a single video for sharing! Use the Edit feature on the Saved Files screen: select two movies and tap Join.
Tracing Projector is Enhanced For 3D Touch! Start right away from the camera or photo album from the home screen! Force-touch on the tracing image to peek at your progress while you draw!
- For best results, stabilize your device above your drawing surface. A stack of books, drinking glass, or tripod works best.
- The app requires access to your camera in order to present its overlay for drawing.
- The app requires access to your photos in order to load an image to trace and to save the video of your drawing.
- The app optionally uses your microphone when recording a video while you draw.
- The free version has no advertising; drawing sessions are limited to three minutes. Upgrade is one-time purchase, no subscription.
- Includes new emoji released with iOS 14.5.
- New Grid Overlay option helps with realigniing your image using a 4x4 grid. Find it on the Filters panel or the Settings screen.
- As always, this release includes other usability improvements and bug fixes .
Ratings and Reviews
update after myprevious review
After trying out the app and then uofrsding to use the still option it does what it’s supposed to and says it does in the description. took me a while to figure it out because there’s no actual option to activate the still picture mode but instead it popped up in a message to during the projection faze to activate using the tepid method to keep a still picture. i wish this was ambition to choose somewhere instead of getting the whole thing ready and waiting for the pop up to show to activate it because i’ve looked everywhere and don’t see the option. 4 star for now . would like to see i’m provements in the projection parts. sometimes i can’t see what i’m trying to trace but maybe it’s because i don’t have enough lighting or something i don’t know. Thanks to the developers and owners for making such a great app. I use this app to trace designs and pictures for tattoos .
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the positive review and useful feedback! I’m glad you were able to get it working, and will look for ways to make the position sequence more intuitive. Feel free to reach out to email@example.com if you have more questions or suggestions.
Not what I expected, was hoping for the ability to display a photo an trace on my iPad
I’m taking up watercolor and want to focus on painting not sketching. I am able to lay 140# watercolor paper on top of my iPad and sketch over photos, however, live view, zoom, and normal touching affects the photo and messes me up. The ad made it look like you could do this, but not so.
Would love a mode that could let you size an image and lock it in so that you can trace over the iPad.
Edit: Now I “get it”. You hold your iPhone above your paper and use VR to superimpose a photo over the drawing area. You can see your paper, pencil, and drawing hand at the same time which allows you to “trace” the photo. The handheld mode is pretty useless for me, I’m going to order an iPhone clamp that will secure my iPhone above my watercolor paper on a lap desk to allow me to trace the outlines before adding color. This, in theory, is quite useful.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.. The upcoming 1.2.11 update adds a new drawing mode that you should find useful. If you have specific suggestions, feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Love it but...
I seriously love this app! After the other app started acting up and kept asking me to buy the full version I stumbled upon this app, the only problem here sometimes is that after I “lock the image in place” it starts moving or changes size even if my phone is held motionless.
And sometimes the image would move around if my hand or pencil get in the way. I follow the instruction perfectly don’t know if it could be fixed please fix it! I love it so much!!!!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! If you’re using the augmented reality “handheld” mode available on newer iOS devices, make sure you’re working in lots of light and the drawing surface has some “reference marks” that your device can use to keep track of the surface. Little bits of blue painters tape can work. Or you can fall back to “tripod mode” and use a stack of books or a tripod to hold your device steady.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- steve dodge
- 112.2 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2016-2021 Steve Dodge
- In-App Purchases
- Full Functionality $3.99
- Pro Bundle - Best Value! $4.99
- High Quality Video $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.