TrailCheck compiles updates from other trail users to provide current info for planning your next adventure:
• Parking: Is the trailhead deserted, or overflowing? When do you need to arrive to be sure you have a spot? How does the usage change on weekends and holidays?
• Weather: What's it like right now? How is that likely to change throughout the day? How much colder or windier will it be at higher elevations?
• Trail: Should you pack gaiters or microspikes? Will you need to deal with downed trees or overgrowth? Is a washout blocking the route?
TrailCheck lets you select a trailhead, or a specific location on a trail, to view current conditions. Or use the time filters to show averages for recent days or similar days to help predict what you'll run into.
Contributing to TrailCheck's database is easy. Click to submit a parking, weather or trail update and optionally select a location on the trail. Move a few sliders to show the conditions, and add comments if you want to share more details. You can enter updates from the trail, back at the trailhead or from home later. Every submission makes the app work better!
*** Note: TrailCheck is currently in an introductory period and is free to use. Eventually it will require a paid subscription. We will notify users with pricing details before making any changes. ***
- Added support for offline submissions. If you're in an area with no cell service, you can still submit updates for recently viewed trailheads, and TrailCheck will hold the info until it has an Internet connection.
- Automatically loaded the last-viewed trailhead when the app launches. This makes it easier to submit multiple updates for the same trail, even when offline.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This is a really great idea! The app has some definite issues that need to be addressed however.
First, when I was registering and put information in, if the information wasn’t available (username), I was just stuck with a blank screen and no ability to edit any of the info I had put in. Same when I went to add a trail. If any info needed to be edited, it was really hard to change it. Annoying, but should be easy enough for the developer(s) to fix.
Second, it’s not as simple as the developer(s) believe it is. All of the prompts at the top of the screen are really close together making it difficult to differentiate what it is you are trying to see. The little added prompt for parking, weather and such are much easier to read. Adding a trail is also a little confusing for reasons related to the above two complaints.
Finally, when searching for a location, I wish it would guess what you are searching for while you are typing. Sometimes I don’t remember the full name of a trail but I know one word, or there are multiple trails with similar names so it’s nice to get a multiple choice answer while typing in the selection.
The main thing though, is that I would never pay a subscription for this service. Especially since it’s reliant on users inputting the data, that feels like I’m paying someone else when I’m the one doing the work.
Developer Response ,
We're not seeing a problem with registering when the username is unavailable; you should simply be able to edit your entry and click Register again. The trailheads and updates you enter are not yet editable; that will come in the future. Meanwhile, you can contact us if you see an inaccuracy that should be corrected. When searching, you can enter a partial word, then wait a moment and any matching trailheads will appear.
- Arlo Leach
- 30.3 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Copyright 2019 Arlo Leach, all rights reserved
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.