TRex - Copy the Uncopyable 4+
OCR images, videos and more
Ameba Labs, LLC
TRex makes OCR easy and accessible on a Mac.
But what is OCR anyway? Imagine you have a PDF file or a Web page where you can't select the text, image with text on it, or even a YouTube video. Forget retyping it manually; with TRex, you can extract text from anywhere, and it is as easy as taking a screenshot.
TRex can help you to copy text from:
- A PDF with non-selectable text
- A screenshot
- YouTube video
- Zoom call screen sharing
- ... and more!
If you can see it on your screen - TRex can copy it.
Every feature in TRex works offline, no internet is needed:
- Text recognition (OCR)
- Read QR Code and barcodes
- Handy macOS menu bar app, with option to hide it
- Configurable global shortcuts
- Configurable recognition language
- URL scheme support trex:\\capture
- New: macOS Ventura support, including new laguages: Japanes, Korean, Ukranian and Russian
- New: Automatic language detection and ability to capture multi-language text. macOS Ventura only.
- New: Drag&Drop an image on the menu bar item to OCR it
- New: New option in CLI to OCR a file
- New: macOS Services integration
- New: Integration with Shortcuts. Option to run a Shortcut on successful capture.
- New: Dedicated Keyboard shortcuts for capture from screen and capture from clipboard, with or without running automation
- New: Custom words supports. If you're using TRex for highly specialized text(medical, engineering, etc.) you can improve text recognition by providing a list of words, which are specific to your field.
- New: URL Scheme endpoints for triggering capture from clipboard
- New: Embedded CLI tool
- New: Official Alfred workflow(download on GitHub)
- Fixed: Cleaned up text capitalization in menus and preferences
Ratings and Reviews
Works surprisingly well
I've occasionally used Tesseract to try to extract text from images, and it hasn't worked well for me. So my expectations for this app were low. But this app works incredibly well. For example, I pointed it to an image on Twitter of a medicine bottle, which had text that was slightly out of focus and written on a curve. But the app nailed it.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ameba Labs, LLC
- 1.9 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Ameba Labs
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.