Do not buy this app unless you are a professional piano technician. This is a professional tool that produces a custom piano tuning for any piano. It is part of our popular TuneLab line of piano tuning programs for Smartphones, tablet computers, and laptops, which piano technicians have been using for more than 15 years.
* Capable of an accuracy of 0.02 cents.
* Measures and uses inharmonicity of the piano to construct the tuning.
* Provides an over-pull mode for more accurate pitch-raises.
* Can store hundreds of tuning files for individual pianos.
* Tuning files can be stored locally and in the Cloud on Dropbox.
* Provides many historical temperaments for period music.
* Switches notes automatically when you play the next note.
* Provides a strobe-like Phase Display for fine-tuning.
* Provides a versatile frequency spectrum display.
TuneLab lets you customize a tuning by sampling the inharmonicity for a few notes of the particular piano. You can choose the kind of tuning stretch you want, based on octaves, double-octaves, or other intervals. Then you start tuning.
After a custom tuning has been created from inharmonicity measurements you can store this tuning by name. The next time you need to tune that piano, or one very much like it, you simply load that same tuning file and start tuning. There is essentially no limit to the number of tuning files that you can save. TuneLab comes with some sample tuning files and an "Average" tuning file so you can start tuning right away without bothering to measure inharmonicity.
TuneLab covers the normal piano range from A0 to C8 (88 notes). The automatic note-switching feature makes it possible to enjoy hands-free operation. TuneLab switches up to 3 notes up or down from the current note. There is also easy one-touch manual note switching.
TuneLab has two different displays that are visible at the same time. One is the Phase Display. This is a band where black squares move left or right. You tune to make the squares stop moving. The other is a Spectrum Display. This is a graph that shows a peak in the frequency spectrum for every pitch present in the sound. You tune to make a peak in the graph move to a central red line. The spectrum display makes it possible to do rough tuning without mutes, since each string of a unison produces its own peak in the graph. Having both the Phase Display and the Spectrum Display visible at the same time gives you a more complete picture of the tuning than any single spinner-type or needle-type display.
New in version 4.3.1: Fixed compatibility problem with iOS8
New in version 4.3:
1. More robust pitch-raise pre-measuring for low bass notes.
2. File search bar added to Load Tuning for finding tuning files faster in long lists of files by entering a few letters of the file name.
3. Fast one-touch access to over-pull (pitch-raise) settings from main tuning page.
4. Optional use of plate strut locations to improve pitch-raising accuracy.
5. Fixed two-fingered reset of offset in iOS 10.
6. Dropbox functions revised to accommodate changes at dropbox.com which will make the version 4.2 Dropbox functions cease to function starting in June, 2018.
7. Streamlined handling of saving tuning before starting a new tuning.
Ratings and Reviews
For Professional Use
I am a long time “by ear only” professional piano technician who started using TuneLab a decade ago just for experimenting. This is not a “do it yourself” tuning app for pianos. It is an excellent measuring tool for real piano technicians who already understand the fundamentals of piano tuning. Everyone has their preferences, but it is in the same league as Verituner and CyberTuner, other pro apps in the pricing stratosphere. It is especially useful for pitch raising and tuning in noisy environments. I recommend it.
I’ve been using TuneLab for about 15 years of my 40 year piano tuning career. I have some of the more expensive apps, but have come to sure TL more than the others because of its simplicity. It’s great for pitch raises also. I recommend it.
THE best piano tuning app
I have been tuning pianos for over 15 years. This is by far the ONLY tuning app a pro tuner should have. Anything else doesn’t compare. The spectrum analyzer makes it easy to tune without mutes if you wish. Bravo TuneLab. Bravo!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.