The UK Immigration: ID Check app lets you confirm your identity online as part of a visa application.
If you use this app, you will not have to attend an appointment to confirm your identity.
Who can use the app
• EU, European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss citizens
• British national (overseas) visa (BNO) applicants who have a BNO or Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) passport
• Graduate visa applicants who have a UK biometric residence permit (BRP)
Before you start
You must follow the steps in the online application form before using the app.
You will need to be in a well-lit area, so you can take a good quality photograph of yourself.
You will need (one of the following):
• a biometric residence permit (BRP) - if you’re applying for a graduate visa and are not from the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or a Swiss citizen, you must use your BRP
• a passport that has a chip (also called a ‘biometric passport’)
You need to use:
• an iPhone 7 or newer
• iOS 13.2 or later
How it works
You will need to:
1. Take an image of your document.
2. Read the chip in your document using your phone.
3. Scan your face using your phone.
4. Provide a photograph of yourself for your digital status.
What happens next
The app only helps confirm your identity. You must still complete the rest of your application. We will tell you how to do this when you finish using the app.
Privacy and security
The app is safe and secure. Your personal information will not be stored in the app or on the phone when you finish using it.
For information on staying safe online please visit the UK Cyber Aware website.
Our Accessibility Statement can be found at:
Ratings and Reviews
Only works on Android not Apple!
I tried to scan over 20 times from 2 different Apple iphones (current iOS etc) and every time it said I had moved the card or the phone and so it didn’t scan. I had not! My friend luckily had an Android and that worked first time. Everything else was the same. Apple said to contact the Home Office and tell them to fix it (what a terrible response - really disappointed Apple!!). Don’t stress yourself. Borrow an Android and you can get through this. (One other caveat - if says you can finish from the email it sends. Don’t count on it. I never did get one and completed on friend’s phone). Apple and Home Office - fix this. There’s a reason Reddit and Google say it isn’t working on Apple!
Doesn't work with iPhone
Doesn't work with any iPhones, it feels like a scam, I don't know anyone that doesn't have an iPhone and really need to get this done, I'm so frustrated
This app won’t work for me. I made an appointment at an EU support center. I’d give this app zero stars if I could.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Home Office
- 142.3 MB
- Requires iOS 13.2 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Crown Copyright