Vimlike is a Safari extension to browse the web by keyboard shortcuts like a vim-editor. See the default key binding below and you can customize every key mapping.
j Scroll down
k Scroll up
h Scroll left
l Scroll right
ctrl+f Page down
ctrl+b Page up
d Half page down
u Half page up
g g Go to bottom of the page
g Go to top of the page
i Go to the first edit box
a Open the link below the cursor
s Open the link below the cursor in a new window
Esc/`/§ Normal mode
ctrl+i Insert mode
ctrl+d Dark mode
shift+r Reader view
shift+h Go back
shift+l Go forward
f Toggle links
shift+f Toggle links (open a link in a new tab)
/ Search links
n Move to next link
shift+n Move to previous link
t New tab
q Previous tab
w Next tab
x Close tab
ctrl+u Play video in a fullscreen
ctrl+p Play video in a PIP
cmd+. Exit fullscreen video
• Vimlike requires access to the websites to override the keyboard shortcuts
• Vimlike never collects any data from your browser. None of the data will leave your device.
• Scroll enhancement
Ratings and Reviews
Works well, is missing a couple of things
So far the plugin has worked pretty well, with a few minor bugs which i’m guessing are due to iOS.
There are, however, a couple of additional features that would be appreciated:
- there is no command focus the url of the page (can be done with command L, but a shortcut such as ‘o’ for open would be nice)
- when working with multiple keyboard layouts, it is useful to turn on the ‘Ignore keyboard layout’ feature. However, this should be coupled with the option to specify which keys appear when using the ACTIVATE_LINK command, otherwise the keys that are mapped differently are useless in this command (one can use numbers only, but it’s not as convenient)
- maybe this is a limitation not of the app, but of iOS, but it would be great if there were a command for changing the order of tabs (aka, moving current tab to the left / right)
Thanks for all the hard work you’ve put into this app!
Brilliant Safari extension -- a must have for vim users
Vim users rejoice! Safari on iPad is as close as ever to the full desktop experience now with this extension providing a way to navigate purely using the keyboard.
There are some cosmetic improvements that I hope will be made in the future. First, the scrolling animation feels choppy, especially on my iPad Pro with a ProMotion display. Being able to disable the animation or making it smoother so it doesn't feel out of place in a 120 Hz display would be nice.
Second, the color scheme (black and neon green color) for the link selection popups doesn't fit in that well with the rest of the iOS color design. An option to use a more subtle color scheme like the light yellow background that Vimium uses on the desktop Safari extension would be nice.
Overall, these are minor complaints for what is otherwise a functionally perfect extension!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the great feedback. I am really excited to hear that you're enjoying Vimlike. Brilliant suggestions - I am working on these features. You'll have it in coming releases. Thank you!
Exactly what i was looking for!
Thank you, thank you! I couldn’t find my usual vim-style extension that I’ve been using on desktop browsers for the ipad but I’m so thankful that I found this one. I’m able to reuse all the shortcuts from the other extension here and this extension has addressed the one weakness that I’ve been unable to fix on all iPads! Incredible.
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot for the comment! Glad to hear that you're happy using Vimlike!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Minwoo Lee
- 4.2 MB
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Jasmine Studios