＊ On May 16, Google / Nest have announced that while the "Works With Nest" program will end on August 31, 2019, this app will continue working indefinitely, as long as you do not migrate your Nest account onto a Google account.
＊ This app has been reviewed, and approved by the Nest QA department.
Apple Watch, Nest Cam, and Siri together. What a sight!
The app has Siri Voice shortcuts, and they can be used to set your home into Away or Home state using Siri on your Watch or iPhone, as well as to display the live feeds and last events recorded by your cameras.
The app fully supports Apple Watch LTE, and can work when the iPhone is not around - as long as the watch itself has internet access (either LTE or WiFi).
Watch Cam lets you monitor all your Nest Cams from the Apple Watch or the iOS Widget.
• From the watch face, tap on the Watch Cam complication to open the app. Swipe left and right to view life feeds from all your Nest Cams.
• One of the new Series 4 Watch complications shows you the snapshot from the camera of your choice, right on the watch face. The snapshot updates every few minutes all on its own, so you'll have a recent view of your camera any time you look at the watch. Useful when waiting for that package to arrive.
• On your iOS device you can swipe to the notification center to see what's on all of your cameras.
• View the continuously updated Live Feed from the camera in the watch app, the iOS widget, or the iOS app. The feed updates with a new image approximately every second on the iOS and two seconds on the Watch - may be faster or slower, depending on your network speed.
• Preview the last event recorded by any of the cameras - you will see the video clip of the event on the watch, the widget and in the iOS app.
• When the app/widget is opened, if there are events less than 15 minutes old, they will be shown. Otherwise, the Live Feed will be shown.
• The app displays how much time has passed since the last event in an easily glanceable format (eg. "12 minutes ago", "3 days ago")
• Use the pinch gesture on the camera views in the iOS app to zoom in and out. Single tap toggles the zoom level in the iOS app and the iOS widget.
• Turn the device to landscape mode to increase the camera views sizes.
• Double tap on the Event clip in the iOS app or the widget to launch the Nest app, and deep-link right into that event.
• Double tap on the Live Feed view in the iOS app or the widget to launch the Nest app, and display that camera.
Watch Face Complications can display the following:
• Snapshot from the camera of your choice that updates every few minutes.
• The time since the last recorded event from any of the cameras, and the location where it was recorded.
• Status of all the cameras - if the camera icon is green, it means that all your cameras are online and streaming. If it's dimmed, it means that some cameras are off.
You can press the Watch screen firmly for additional functions, like switching between the last recorded event, and the live feed, setting the away status, or turning the camera streaming on and off.
While the app's minimalist looks betray the simplicity of its operation, what they don't show is the amount of planning, design, development and refinement that went into it, ensuring it becomes something that is enjoyable to use and experience.
Please make sure to sign in with your main Nest account. Nest doesn't support Family accounts in 3rd party apps.
Please Note: Watch Cam does not collect any of your data. Your login information, camera feeds, and any activity - all of it flows exclusively between your watch, your cameras, and Nest. Author of Watch Cam does not receive any of it, at any point.
＊ Good news! On May 16, Google / Nest have announced that while the "Works With Nest" program will end on August 31, 2019, apps like this one will continue working indefinitely, as long as you do not migrate your Nest account onto a Google account. This is really a great news for all of the existing users, as there's now no danger of this app dying on you - and I will do my best to apply to Google's new security screening process, so that the app will also work for the new users, who join after the August 31.
Previous major updates:
＊ Geofencing support. The app will set your home into Away state (which can enable the Indoor Nest Cams) as soon as the phone exits the defined perimeter - and back into Home state when you get back in. You will receive notifications that confirm the Home/Away state has been successfully set, when these events happen. You can set the perimeter to be anything from very small, to several miles in radius. Use this feature if you are for any reason not happy with the similar functionality provided by the main Nest app. Note that if you already use this feature in Thermo Watch app, there's no need to set it up here as well - both perform the exact same function.
＊ Each of your Nest homes can have one geofence. To set up fences, press the menu button in the top left, and select the option from the menu. Make sure to "Always Allow" location updates, as geofencing won't work otherwise. The app uses your location only to change the Home/Away state, and never sends your location anywhere. You will also be asked if you wish to receive notifications from the app. Notifications are sent to confirm that the Home/Away state has been successfully changed, after you cross the fence perimeter.
＊ Watch app will now display latest recorded event notifications when watch is on its own on an LTE network. Watch Cam complication must be enabled on the watch face for this to work, and the notifications will be delayed a few minutes from when the event was actually recorded. It's also a good idea to start the app once, after the watch has gone onto LTE network, to ensure the notifications will be delivered. Due to these limitations, the watch app will send notifications only when the watch is on its own on an LTE (or a known WiFi) network. Once you're back in the proximity of the phone, you will continue receiving push notifications from the main Nest app.
＊ Siri watch face platter added. It shows Camera status icon - which if green, indicates that all cameras are streaming; if yellow, it means that some cameras are off; and if gray, means that all cameras are off. It also shows the time since the last recorded event, and the camera from which the last event came from. Please note that to see continuous and timely updates of the Siri watch face platter, you should also enable the Watch Cam complication on the Siri watch face.
＊ Using Siri voice shortcuts you can now set your home into Away or Home state, Start/Stop streaming, as well as display the live feeds and last events recorded by your cameras. All you have to do is say "Hey Siri, show me what's at the front door".
＊ Shortcuts you've created can be used as part of the workflow in the Shortcuts app.
＊ The Watch app supports all the new complications, with a special new one that actually shows you the snapshot from the camera of your choice. The snapshot updates every few minutes all on its own, so you'll have a recent view of your camera any time you look at the watch. Useful when waiting for that package to arrive.
＊ Cameras can now be manually re-ordered in the iOS app, and the order will propagate to the iOS Widget, and the Watch app. Just pick and drag them up and down the list.
Ratings and Reviews
Extremely Helpful Developer
The app works just as I had hoped it would. I am able to see a live stream on my Apple Watch and the last event.
When I purchased the the app the last event option would not display on my phone or watch. I contacted the developer and he worked with me for multiple days trying to get to the root cause. He never gave up and even offered me a refund. I declined his offer to refund because I knew his app worked due to a friend who has the app. He contacted Nest for me and I sent him some information that Nest asked for. The next day there’s a software update for my Nest app. And Nest had fixed the problem on there end. I do not leave many reviews but I really wanted to somehow thank the developer for being so diligent on getting this to work for me. I wish all developers were like the gentleman who created this app. I would not hesitate to purchase an app from this developer!
GREAT watch app
I’ve long wanted the ability to quickly check the Nest Cam from my wrist (for example, when I wake up, to see if the baby has woken up, or to check in when I’m working out at the gym). This app works much better than I thought would be possible; it is fast, responsive, and refreshes the watch every few seconds, even if connected to your phone via Bluetooth. There’s also zoom, either by tapping or using the Digital Crown. You can switch between last activity and live stream by force pressing on the Watch. Fantastic!
One feature request: improve the features on the phone/tablet app when you have time; it’s more useful than you think. For example, any chance the iPad could get Picture-in-Picture, which the Nest app doesn’t have? Thank you!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the review - I'm glad you're enjoying the app! I'm looking into some way of adding the PiP support, but the type of the feed provided by Nest is not the best suited for this purpose. In the meantime, note that you can use the split-view multitasking on your iPad with this app, so you can watch your cameras on the side of the screen - which is another thing that Nest's app doesn't seem to have.
Works Great & Zoom is Awesome
At first I couldn’t see my camera stream, but Marko was extremely gracious with his time helping me. Turns out I just didn’t see the app in my Watch settings. Once I found it everything was fine. The app works great! I can stream anytime to see what’s going on. The zoom feature on my watch is far better than I expected. I have the smaller watch and was concerned about really being able to see anything, but it is clear and definitely zooms in enough to see everything. Very happy. Highly recommend. The functionality and customer service has been great. Thank you!!
- Marko Radakovic
- 9.9 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 Marconelly
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.