Log sightings and identify species of commonly sighted whales and dolphins from any location around the world. Whale and Dolphin Tracker provides a platform where both professional scientists and members of the public can participate in research and conservation by contributing their marine wildlife sightings. By submitting your sightings you will add to a global database that will help researchers determine patterns of species distribution and how these species interact with their environment.
-Log sightings in real-time during your trip.
-Use the built-in GPS logger to create a full GPS track of your trip.
-Upload photos from your mobile device to submit with your sighting.
-Maintain full access to your submitted data through your Whale and Dolphin Tracker account.
-View global sightings submitted by all users on a live sightings map updated in real time.
Contribute to research:
-Crowdsourcing allows for a larger scope of data collection than what is possible for dedicated researchers to achieve.
-Greater coverage in both time and space increases the likelihood of documenting rare and/or understudied marine wildlife.
-Citizen science creates ocean stewards and leads to a greater awareness of marine wildlife.
How to submit a sighting:
- Use the app to record GPS location of any sightings of whales, dolphins, and other marine wildlife.
- Help researchers account for survey effort by associating a track with each sighting. Simply start the GPS track when you depart land and stop the track upon your return. Complete GPS tracks enable calculations of sightings per distance and are valuable for research on distribution of marine animals.
- Upload photos associated with your sightings directly from your mobile device. Photos will be used by researchers to confirm species identification and will be added to photo-identification databases, where applicable.
More GPX track upload fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Works great and is user-friendly!
I am familiar with this app from my time interning and volunteering with the Pacific Whale Foundation on Maui. I’m currently using it to document Wild Bottlenose dolphins in the Florida Keys, so anyone can use it regardless if you’re living on Maui or not. It works great and is very user-friendly, plus the data collected is easily accessible on my iPhone, iPad or computer! It’s a great way for scientists and citizen scientists to contribute to marine mammal research!
Developer Response ,
We are thrilled that you're enjoying the app and using it to study dolphins in Florida!
Love seeing the whales!
I use this app to record my whale sightings when I travel. I love having a record of my whale sightings and knowing that my entries are contributing to whale conservation efforts.
Updates are great
This app is great for tracking animals in and around the Hawaiian Islands. Would love to see this go international
Developer Response ,
Great news - we have just expanded the app to allow users to submit sightings of any cetacean species around the world! Thanks for your support.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Pacific Whale Foundation
- 40.2 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Pacific Whale Foundation