Log sightings and identify species of commonly sighted whales and dolphins from any location around the world. Whale and Dolphin Tracker provides a platform where both professional scientists and members of the public can participate in research and conservation by contributing their marine wildlife sightings. By submitting your sightings you will add to a global database that will help researchers determine patterns of species distribution and how these species interact with their environment.
-Log sightings in real-time during your trip.
-Use the built-in GPS logger to create a full GPS track of your trip.
-Upload photos from your mobile device to submit with your sighting.
-Maintain full access to your submitted data through your Whale and Dolphin Tracker account.
-View global sightings submitted by all users on a live sightings map updated in real time.
Contribute to research:
-Crowdsourcing allows for a larger scope of data collection than what is possible for dedicated researchers to achieve.
-Greater coverage in both time and space increases the likelihood of documenting rare and/or understudied marine wildlife.
-Citizen science creates ocean stewards and leads to a greater awareness of marine wildlife.
How to submit a sighting:
- Use the app to record GPS location of any sightings of whales, dolphins, and other marine wildlife.
- Help researchers account for survey effort by associating a track with each sighting. Simply start the GPS track when you depart land and stop the track upon your return. Complete GPS tracks enable calculations of sightings per distance and are valuable for research on distribution of marine animals.
- Upload photos associated with your sightings directly from your mobile device. Photos will be used by researchers to confirm species identification and will be added to photo-identification databases, where applicable.
App will now display warning when GPX Track is started and location services are disabled.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Worthless or next to it
Perhaps you should reconsider naming your group and drop Pacific from the title.
Updates are great
This app is great for tracking animals in and around the Hawaiian Islands. Would love to see this go international
- Pacific Whale Foundation
- 36.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad Air Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11‑inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (3rd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (7th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (4th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Pacific Whale Foundation
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.