The WoodStepper is a sequencer having both audio and midi out.
The audio sources can be the track audio, sampled audio or the built-in VCO.
It consists of 4 independent 8-steps sequencers which can be linked to a 16, 24 or 32 steps sequencer.
So WoodStepper can be used as a 4-track looper/sampler.
Each step can also send 4 midi messages (note on, CC, …) to 2 midi channels.
The audio part for each sequencer has a pitch (down) shifter, (Moog lowpass) filter with ASR envelope, saturator, amplitude ASR envelope and delay line which can all be set independently per step.
The app can be used stand-alone (device audio input and output) or as a plugin in a DAW.
In this case it has to be inserted in an audio track and not in an instrument track as WoodStepper is still an audio effects plugin with additional midi input and output.
The manual can be downloaded from : http://www.woodmansimmaculatemaplesyrupstudio.be/woodstepper/WoodStepperHelp.pdf
- IOS plugin type : AUv3, IAA and stand-alone app.
- Has 4 independent 8-steps sequencers.
- Sequencers can be linked to form 16, 24, or 32 steps sequencer(s).
- Each sequencer can have a different timing.
- Steps can be disabled for non 4/4 patterns.
- Each step can send up to 4 midi messages (+ all previous notes off) on 2 midi channels
- Midi note-on values can follow a midi received ground note.
- Audio sources can be the track audio, sampled audio or a VCO (per sequencer).
- Sampling can be armed (per sequencer) with a button or a midi in CC.
- Each sequencer has it’s own gain, clipping led and brick-wall limiter.
- VCO’s have the usual waveforms and can be FM modulated.
- VCO frequency/note value can be set with a midi in note-on.
- Polyphonic mode sends 4 subsequent note-ons to the 4 VCO’s.
- Each step has a pitch down shifter.
- Pitch shifters have a glide control.
- Pitch shifters can be set to a random value (out of a list of scales).
- Pitch values can be harmonically locked to the Just Scale or the Equally Tempered Scale.
- VCO + Pitch can be limited to a specified key + interval scale (e.g. C Major Pentatonic)
- Each step has a 4-pole Moog Lowpass filter with resonance and ASR envelope.
- Steps have an additional high-pass filter and a saturation control.
- All steps have an ASR amplitude envelope and a step gain.
- Each step has its own delay line with independent timing, feedback, and filtering.
- Step audio and delay can be panned independently per step.
- Sequencers can be started manually or started when Playing (transport) starts.
- A “Play 1 Step” button allows to finetune step settings
- An “All Steps” button allows to set the same parameter value in all steps.
- Has a global Dry-Wet, Input gain and Output gain control.
- Presets can be stored in iCloud Drive (makes them available on all your devices).
- Presets can be switched with Midi Program Changes.
- Major controls can be set with Midi CC messages.
- added "limit to key" function (ensures the note produced by VCO + pitch is in the specified key + scale)
- added user interval scale (Advanced Settings).
- adjust step when running now only shows the specified step parameters (and not the current running step)
- pitch harmonic lock now also follows the limit to scale intervals (previously only when random was on)
- delay lines now cleared when (re-)Started.
- fixed Pitch shifters just after loading project.
- fixed VCO freq bug when samplerate changed.
- fixed bug in Pitch delta rotary.
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome! Yes it does work in DAW’s.
It shows up under effects in AUM. This is true of some other apps I’ve purchased lately. Lots of possibilities here. See you later.
Developer faked Apple w/support contact
Update: this just doesn’t make sense. The manual mentions DAWs and that it’s both AU and AUv3 as well as stand alone. Then why doesn’t either Audiobus 3 or AUM see WoodStepper as either an AU or AUv3?
This developer just pointed the Apple Support Contact link to their manual. Support is NOT a manual. That’s called documentation. Right now, this product doesn’t work for me. I checked their other apps and no real support links either. This is the proverbial ‘want to give this developer zero stars’. And it’s not compatible with AUM and Audiobus 3. No instrument nor AUv3, let alone AU. Note to self, don’t buy anything else from this developer. I don’t think I can but I will try to get a refund.
Clueless people should refrain from reviews...
Harrumph. This app works beautifully in AUM, Audiobus, ApeMatrix et al. A wonderfully inventive music app, like all from this developer.
- Woodman's Immaculate Maple Syrup Studio
- 18.9 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (9.7‑inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad (5th generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation), iPad Pro (12.9‑inch) (2nd generation) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5‑inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (5th generation), iPad mini (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (6th generation), and iPod touch (7th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Wim Cliquet
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.