Whether you’re a wine enthusiast tasting for pleasure or a drinks professional tasting for work, this app helps you create and store structured and consistent tasting notes for wines.
Brought to you by the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) — the largest wine education provider in the world — the app is based on our globally recognised Systematic Approach to Tasting® (SAT) at Level 2.
Note: This app does not form part of the WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines course. However it is a useful tool for both current and former WSET students at all levels.
Never been a WSET student? No problem! The app is a great tool for all wine tasters, complete with useful tips on how to record your notes. The app also provides a great taster of the skills you can expect to acquire through WSET courses.
• The only wine tasting app endorsed by the world’s leading provider of wine education
• A database of over 300 wine producing countries and regions
• Over 100 pre-populated grape varieties
• A comprehensive lexicon of commonly used aroma and flavour descriptors
• Pro tips to guide you through the app
• Ability to record notes in “blind” tasting mode
• In line with updates to the new Level 2 Award in Wines, record primary, secondary and tertiary aroma and flavour characteristics
• Search through your stored tasting notes
• Upload a photo to your wine notes
• Simple, easy to use interface to record and store your tasting notes
What is the Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine?
The Systematic Approach to Tasting® (SAT) is a method of note taking developed by the Wine & Spirit Education Trust to make tasting notes more objective and comparable.
The methodology breaks down the evaluation of wine, spirits or sake into appearance, nose, palate and conclusion, supported by universal terminology.
The SAT is published at four progressive levels of difficulty in support of the four levels WSET qualifications available. This app has been built for wines at level two making it suitable for those who are new to the SAT method as well as those that have completed WSET courses.
A systematic approach to tasting provides wine tasters with a foundation on which to build and develop their skills. The SAT forms an integral part of all WSET courses.
The Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Founded in 1969, the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) is the largest global provider of wine, spirits and sake qualifications.
Trusted by the world’s most recognised drinks organisations, WSET has led the design and delivery of wine and spirit education for five decades and since 2004 over half a million candidates have taken a WSET qualification.
With four progressive levels of study offered through a network of course providers in more than 70 countries and translated into multiple languages, WSET qualifications inspire and empower drinks professionals and enthusiasts. To find out more about WSET, visit wsetglobal.com.
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Good app but I wish it had the following features:
-editing function after saving the tasting notes
-copying function from the aromas to the flavors.
-auto correct function when typing the tasting notes.
A Major Feature is Missing
I love the app for doing personal wine tastings to help me appreciate the world of wine as a wine student. However, I don’t understand how the app does not allow you to edit your tasting notes. I made a tasting note for a Chianti Classico Gran Selezione on 2/20/21 and misspelled the name of the winery. When I click on the tasting note there is not way to edit it to spell it correctly.
Would like to see some further development
It’s fine for free but you could charge if...
- Ability to photograph front and back of bottle
- Ability to set the WSET level you want to taste at and add or subtract descriptors as needed. For example add Medium + to Acid at level 3.
- Sync between devices
- Auto look-up based on photo ala vivino
- see others tasting notes for same wine to compare and calibrate pallet
- references to level books based on the entered region and varietal
I’ll come up with more!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- WINE AND SPIRIT EDUCATION TRUST
- 54.8 MB
- Food & Drink
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © Wine & Spirit Education Trust 2017
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.