XGate is a suite of email, weather and social media services for satellite phone users. XGate is simply the fastest, easiest and most reliable satellite phone email available, saving you time, money and frustration when using your satellite phone.
XGate encompasses all the services a sailor, adventurer or other remote traveler needs including optimized email, web compression, social media, pinpoint weather forecasts, GRIB file handling via PredictWind Offshore, and a robust ecosystem of compatible apps including: Expedition and SailGRIB for navigation; WeatherTrack; Weather 4D; iNavX; and Xaxero GribPlot for weather. More about XGate can be found at http://www.globalmarinenet.com
XGate’s seamless integration with the world’s leading navigation and weather apps makes it simple to download critical data from many apps all within the highly optimized XGate system. With features such as mid file restart for dropped transmissions and Big Mail filters to choose what is downloaded, XGate greatly eases frustration and adds significant airtime savings.
XGate services include:
• Accelerated Email – Email service offers up to 20 times acceleration versus uncompressed speeds, saving up to 85% on satellite airtime. Works with a dedicated email address or third-party services such as Gmail, iCloud, Yahoo! Mail or your corporate mail address. Or, use a dedicated XGate email address for maximum security and performance.
• Accelerated Web Browsing – Compression uses a web proxy service to provide users with 3-5 times average web acceleration, while also blocking ads, checking for malicious sites and compressing images.
• Send photo – Compresses, resizes and sends photos over satellite. 2MB iPhone photos can be compressed to usable 25Kb images. User selectable size and quality.
• Social media – Users can post text and photos to Facebook and Twitter over satellite.
• Point Weather– Local and global weather forecasts including temperature, pressure, wind speed, wind direction, and precipitation.
• PredictWind Offshore – XGate includes the PredictWind Offshore app with GRIB weather file requestor and viewer. XGate also works with a wide range of other weather and navigation applications from leading providers.
• Sailblogs – Users get free access to a Sailblogs Premium Basic account to help them share their adventures while travelling with their satphone.
This App is available for FREE to XGate users meeting one of the following requirements.
1. Iridium AxcessPoint WiFi router, Redport Optimizer routers, Sattrans and Satstation docks, or the Globalstar GSP-9600 router.
2. One of the following devices and associated services
- Inmarsat FleetBroadband
- Inmarsat Isatphone
- Inmarsat BGAN
- Iridium Open Port
- Iridium GO!
- Iridium 9555 or 9575
- Iridium Legacy 9500, 9505, or 9505a
- Iridium fixed phone based on 9522 such as the eurocom or beam rst100
- Aurora Iridium satellite terminal
- MCG-101 Iridium satellite terminal
- Thuraya and Thuraya IP
- Globalstar 1600, 1700, 2900, Sat-Fi
- VSAT service
- Internet connection via WiFi
3. An XGate and/or XWeb username and password
Standard network usage fees for airtime may apply when using this software. Please check with your satellite airtime provider for details.
About Global Marine Networks, LLC
Global Marine Networks (GMN), offers the industry’s fastest, most reliable and easy-to-use services including email, web, hardware and software. The company’s products include XGate high-speed satellite email, satellite terminals, airtime and vessel tracking systems.
GMN has numerous awards and certifications for technical innovation. For more information on how GMN is Making Airtime Count™ visit http://www.globalmarinenet.com.
Fixes Connection Control. It works as expected now eliminating the quirkyness in previous builds
recoded the GO status checker (the blue status bar) so that its more responsive and more reliable
fixes issues in Pt. WX where it crashed on iOS13 but worked fine in previous versions
fixed the reconnection error on mail that was occurring at the end of successful mail connections
fixed connection issues in WXA based devices introduced by previous fixes for the GO status checker.
other misc bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This is most rudimentary, crude email app. New emails go to the bottom instead of the top so you have to scroll through all received emails to get to the new ones. When writing the app doesn't scroll past the visible screen so you can't see what you're writing or edit it. Very difficult to use landscape, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I wish there were an alternative for Iridium phones.
A Very Buggy App
XGate is a remarkably crude and buggy app. It frequently crashes trying to display some emails, rendering them unreadable -- and even undeletable short of "delete all." Mail cannot de fetched without physically rotating an iPad. Selecting an attachment (say a grib file) takes a dozen or more taps until the magic finally happens. And advertised features like SMS messages for available mail just aren't implemented for Globalstar.
Just not ready for prime time.
Very nice and easy to use. Works great with an optimizer and a satellite phone.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.