Try Yoink for Mac for free - download the demo version at https://eternalstorms.at/yoink/mac
Yoink is also available for iOS: https://eternalstorms.at/yoink/ios
Yoink simplifies and improves drag and drop between windows, apps, spaces and fullscreen apps, by providing a temporary "shelf" for your files and app-content.
It frees up your mouse, enabling you to navigate more comfortably to the destination of your files.
When you start dragging files in Finder or content from an application, Yoink fades in at the edge of your screen, allowing you to drag to it.
While Yoink is holding on to your files for you, you can more easily and comfortably navigate to the destination of your files, without having to keep the mouse button clicked the entire time.
Overview of Yoink's main features:
- A "shelf" at the edge of your screen for files and app-content you'd like to move or copy, which behaves like Finder (regarding moving and copying)
- Yoink follows you everywhere - windows, spaces and (fullscreen-) apps
- Icons are created using QuickLook, allowing easy identification
- Multiple files dragged to Yoink at once are condensed into a Stack, making it easy to drag them out together
- System Services, the Quick Action and Share extensions allow storing files in Yoink without having to use drag and drop
- Handoff to transfer files between all the Macs, iPads and iPhones you're using Yoink on
- Clipboard History, which lets you store previously copied content in Yoink, or copy again
- Highly customizable - you decide where, when and if Yoink appears
- "Share" to and from Yoink
- Build workflows with Yoink's Shortcuts integration
For further information and usage tips for getting the most out of Yoink, please visit its website.
Here's what customers say about Yoink:
"Essential. One of the few apps I use all the time." - Kraznoff, US App Store
"Simple, elegant, perfect. This is a fantastic app. It works flawlessly". - Benwiggy, UK App Store
"Handiest utility I ever purchased." - Nrgwise, US App Store
Here's what members of the press say about Yoink:
"Yoink is a terrific utility" - John Gruber, DaringFireball.net
"Yoink is a fantastic way to enhance drag'n'drop. Highly recommended." - Federico Viticci, MacStories.net
"Yoink is an awesome drag and drop utility for the Mac and is instrumental to me when working with full screen apps." - Jeff Benjamin, iDownloadBlog
"I absolutely love this little utility, it's one of the few I've come across that has had staying powers on my Macs." - James Dempsey, The Graphic Mac
Some features may require a more recent version of macOS, or the separately available Yoink app for iOS:
Handoff to/from iPad or iPhone requires separately available Yoink app for iOS
Quick Action and Continuity Camera requires macOS Mojave 10.14
If you have any feedback or questions, please do not hesitate to write me by mail at email@example.com, or on twitter at @YoinkApp or @eternalstorms.
Improvements in Yoink v3.6.84:
- The clipboard history now ignores copied content from SplashID apps
- Trashed and deleted files are recognized more reliably and now also take into account newly mounted drives
- The Shortcut.app shortcut "Get Files from Yoink" now allows you to return all files without having to select every single one.
Click on Show More, and select Ignore selection and get all files
- Uses macOS 13 Ventura's new login item mechanism
Bug fixes in Yoink v3.6.84:
- Fixes a bug where Yoink would use an inordinate amount of CPU when emptying the Trash
- Fixes a UI bug in Clipboard History preferences' Ignored Apps settings
- Fixes an issue where Finder would say "The application "Yoink Widget.app" is not open anymore."
- Removes unnecessary Spotlight indexing of snippets placed in Yoink
Ratings and Reviews
Essential yet simple; a perfect utility
Yoink is so utterly simple, and it stays out of the user's way until it's needed.
But it does one thing really, really well. Yoink fully realizes the potential of drag and drop, a technology that we've had for over 35 years, and I couldn't see myself working without it. I live in full screen windows, and often applications expect users to drag and drop files without providing an interface to browse the filesystem--or the file I want to select is buried deep in the filesystem hierarchy, making navigating to it difficult. Additionally, maybe I want to cross-share something from one social app to another (like Riot to Discord).
Yoink solves all these problems exceptionally well, and does it quietly, unobtrusively. Truly masterful design that would fit in wonderfully in the core of macOS (and I truly agree with another reviewer saying it should be purchased by Apple).
An Invaluable Tool
I use this little shelf every day. It's the place I store almost every saved file that needs to be categorized or uploaded. I'm a teacher, so I work with PDFs all the time. Snapshots of virtual whiteboards as well. I have to get them on Google Classroom but don't really need them stored on my computer. So, I drop the file into yoink, move over to Classroom, then drag and drop it to upload it. It's gone off my computer and exactly where it needs to be. Also, the ability to lock an item and drag and drop it multiple times helps with the repated comments I make on student reports. Select an often repeated comment, drag it to Yoink, lock it, then drag it onto as many reports as necessary. When I'm done, I unlock the file and delete it, no problem. Yoink really has become one of my essential apps.
Yoink is so good that it honestly makes me a little angry.
I've been using Yoink for several months now. At home, my main machine runs macOS. However, in the business world, our company stipulates Windows. Yoink is such a useful utility that I have searched IN ANGRY VAIN for a Windows alternative on a near-weekly basis.
Yoink streamlines my workflow. Having a drop-point for my files allows me to stay organized. I'm no longer cluttering up random corners of my system with things that are better-placed elsewhere. Yoink lets me hold them for a moment and then place them where I intend for them to go. The peace of mind is priceless.
Yoink, however, costs a few bucks but it's worth it. Support this developer. Apps like this one, simple and yet flawlessly-executed, are hard to find. This one's essential and I'm still a little angry about it.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Matthias Gansrigler
- 19.2 MB
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2022, Eternal Storms Software
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.