New comprehensive fish app with length/weight calculator and current regulations. All an angler needs.
This guide to the marine fish of Southern Africa is a comprehensive study of the species likely to be encountered in the waters of the region. It features nearly 250 species with multiple hi-res images for most. Also included is descriptive species text, distribution maps, current fishing regulations and a fish weight calculator.
• Hi-res zoomable images and detailed text descriptions for the 249 species.
• Length/Weight calculator that can be used by anglers who release their fish but want to know what its weight was. Simply measure the fish before releasing and enter this measurement for the approximate weight.
• “Compare” allows you to compare two species on the same screen.
• Species lists in English, Afrikaans or Scientific names.
• A Fish ID (Smart Search) that allows you to easily find a species by selecting attributes eg. Skin Type, Mouth Type, Tail Shape etc.
• A personal list that stores your sightings saved to the device that can then be exported through email.
While we have tried to ensure that the information provided is as accurate as possible, there will inevitably be some mistakes. In addition, names, information and fishing regulations change. We will do our best to keep the App updated from time to time. Please contact us if you find any mistakes or information that requires updating.
*Uninstalling the program will result in the loss of your list, it is recommended that you keep your own master list separate from the program.
Updated some length/weight calculations.
Fixed a few data issues and bugs.
Ratings and Reviews
Must have for any ocean lover
This really is an excellent and must have app for any angler, diver or ocean lover. Amazing detail and information. Very useful for ID purposes, for making conscious decisions of the fish you decide to keep, and for good and valuable knowledge on each of the species contained in the app. Will give the app 6/5 if you can add chokka to the list!
More for anglers than anyone
The app is touted as the perfect guide for anglers, divers and marine enthusiasts which at the time of writing is a big oversell. Limited app images meant I took a plunge on the purchase and not too happy I did. The species of fish listed are predominantly fish caught for sport fishing. As a diver, I don’t love seeing photos of helpless fish peers over by grinning fishers on every single species page. Categories are still very incomplete (eels for example) and smaller common fish likely to be encountered on dives are missing entirely. This is probably a great app for anglers - but cannot recommend it for any other form of marine enthusiast. Will keep it and hope the app evolves into more.
What a fantastic tool for anglers and snorkelers alike! Love the built in length / weight calculator and the catch limits - all in one place! A huge body of work ! Bravo
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Cool Ideas LLC
- 317.7 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Cool Ideas LLC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.