Official app of the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) - The RSA SafeTrx App allows you to register your vessel and plan your journey on your Smartphone.
Registering vessel and journey information couldn’t be any easier. Follow an easy to understand registration process to register your contact and vessel details within the application. Choose from the menu options to plan and file your trip (Sail Plan mode) or just activate the tracking function of the app (Track only mode).
To file a Sail Plan, choose your vessel, add the ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival), enter the number of persons on board and the activity type. Using the built-in maps, select a starting point, an optional waypoint and the end destination. Once this is completed simply press the ‘set sail’ button when you are ready to start your journey.
Pressing ‘set sail’ will register the journey details with the NSRI computer server and will activate position reporting in the App. At regular intervals the App will send a position report to the server and your emergency contacts will be automatically alerted 30 minutes after the journey exceeds the ETA. At any stage during the journey you can end your trip, revise the ETA, number of people on board or the destination.
Use the RSA SafeTrx app to:
- Improve maritime trip planning with your own personalised checklist to be included as part of your Sail Plan.
- Activate an emergency call while your trip is in progress. (iPhone only)
- Quickly start your trip using the ‘Track only’ mode to begin tracking at a touch of a button.
- Store up to 20 trips in your Mobile Logbook and replay trips within the app in video playback mode.
- View your journey history and manage your vessels, emergency contacts and other important information through the RSA SafeTrx boater site - https://safetrx.nsri.org.za
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
*Please note - The information and functions provided in the App are provided on the understanding that users exercise their own skill and care with respect to use of the App. Safety at sea is a serious consideration. In emergency circumstances, you should not rely solely on the information and functions provided in this application, but seek information and assistance from as many sources as possible. The App may provide you with information and assistance relevant to your current location, as determined by your Device. However the mobile devices and the telecommunications systems that support mobile devices are inherently unreliable and there is a risk that there will be no connectivity between your Device and global positioning systems from time to time. We cannot guarantee uninterrupted connectivity between your Device and global positioning systems. You assume all such risk when using the App. The App is intended to be used as a supplementary tracking aid and should not be used as your only vessel communication or safety device.
* A new account registration process making it simpler and quicker to create a SafeTrx app account.
* Security updates.
* Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Kayak fisherman feed back
Excellent service. As a professional lifeguard I will not go to sea without this app especially when fishing on my own off my kayak on the east coast of South Africa.
Well done NSRI
Brilliant app. Does exactly what it supposed to do. When you overrun your trip, the NSRI is on your case immediately!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Other Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- National Sea Rescue Institute of South Africa
- 35.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German, Greek, Norwegian Bokmål, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2014 National Sea Rescue Institute of South Africa