Mate is an incredibly powerful translator app which is deeply integrated with iOS. It lets you easily translate words, texts and speech anywhere on your iPhone or iPad. It works both online and offline, as well as available in dark and light mode. Mate will have your back with 103 languages.
Mate is equally helpful if you're mastering a new language, want to take down a language barrier when going abroad, or just occasionally need to translate a web page, email, message, etc.
Full list of supported languages:
Mate has some simple yet powerful iOS extensions which will save you a lot of time:
- Safari Extension. Translate directly in the browser. Highlighted text or full pages. Just enable Mate's extension by tapping on the share icon in the Safari's toolbar.
- Share Extension. Translate in Mail, Notes, PDFs by highlighting text, choosing Share and then Mate from Share Menu.
- iMessage App. Write messages in your language, Mate will translate them on the fly and send in the recipient's language. Or vice versa.
- Widget. Translate clipboard contents by long-pressing Mate's icon on home screen or from the Search screen.
We also supercharged Mate with some features language enthusiasts will totally love:
- Genders for nouns. Supports French, German, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Swedish, and Dutch.
- Phonetic transcription and transliteration for both original and translation.
- Speak out.
- Phrasebook. It's an easy way to store vocabulary you want to learn. You can save words to Phrasebook directly or shuffle your existing translations to it. Phrasebook can also be exported to the Reji app in just one tap. Reji will then let you practice words using a very efficient learning mode.
If you're always on the go, we have something for you, too:
- Speech Translator.
- Mate Account. Mate has a powerful Mac app and extensions for all major browsers. Using Mate Account you can keep translation history and Phrasebook synchronized on all devices.
Other Mate apps:
The Reji app for learning words:
We post frequent updates on Twitter:
We built this version of Mate with the latest toolset available and made sure everything works perfectly on the new iOS 14.
Ratings and Reviews
In an age of privacy violating “free” apps and the onslaught of the alternative Subscription/Service model, this app is a beautiful example of how well done the classic model of “paying once and owning forever” can be. Even more, this app is more feature rich, simple to use, and capable than many of it’s alternatives. A shining light of an app, you should buy it now!
How about native speakers saying the phrase?
Ok, I haven’t had this app very long and it looks pretty decent in what I’ve tried to use it for. However... it would be nice to have a native speaker say the phrase of the language? I tried Maori and it was a man with a notable ‘British’ accent, the same speaker and accent used for the English phrase while I was trying to figure out how to get the app to say the Maori phrase. Yes, that would be a lot of work to add in, but for those of us learning languages, it would be nice to hear a more authentic accent. I would also be nice to have an audio of both phrases versus just the audio of the phrase showing up on the top row. I had English wanting to hear it in Maori, so the English was showing on top. When I switched the langague (what gets translated) I at first got English twice. I had to copy the Maori, switch the languages around to get Maori as the language to be translated into English. On the first try, the audio stayed with the English, then when I copied and pasted I got the ‘British’ male speaking Maori with a a ‘British’ accent. Didn’t try other languages to see if that was consistent across other languages. Important details for those using the app to help learn a language!
Credit where credit is due...
The developers listen to their customer base and that has to be applauded! The latest update got rid of all connections to analytics domains and now the app is truly a private alternative to Google Translate (as well as being a better translator in my opinion). I will buy the Mac version and recommend Mate to my friends. Great job, developers!
Please consider adding an option to turn off all analytics. The vast majority of users will leave them on, but it will reassure the privacy conscious among us. Thank you.
Developer Response ,
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Twopeople Software LLC
- 120.1 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Gikken UG
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.