Read classic books in daily bite-sized bits!
Serial Reader helps you fit classic literature into your busy life. Choose from more than 750 classic books and receive a new issue from the book every day.
Each issue can be read in 20 minutes or less. Read the best classic books in your spare time!
"For those who are intimidated by thick, leather-bound tomes, Serial Reader is a good way to break it all down." - The Washington Post
• Read hundreds of popular classic books for free
• Customize with a variety of themes and fonts
• Automatically serialize your own EPUB books (beta)
• Sync your reading progress to Goodreads
• Easily lookup words in the dictionary & Wikipedia
• Earn fun badges and track your reading streaks
Plus, with an optional one-time in-app purchase:
• Read tomorrow's issue - or the entire book - whenever you want
• Sync your reading across multiple devices
• Save quotes & notes while reading
• Save books to read later
• Pause delivery of new issues
• Pick specific delivery days and hours for new issues
• Lots of other goodies!
"Serial Reader’s subscription format makes it a little bit more fun to crank through the classics" - Lifehacker
"A useful tool that makes it easy in our modern world to make classic books part of your reading diet" - MacStories
Picked as one of Apple's Best New Apps and Best New Updates in 2016, 2018, and 2019.
More than 750 books are currently available and new titles are added each week. You can read each and every book for free in daily issues with Serial Reader!
Here's a sampling of some of the most popular books you can read:
— Most Popular —
• Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
• A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
• Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
• War & Peace - Leo Tolstoy
• Les Misérables - Victor Hugo
• The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
• The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
— American Lit —
• Moby-Dick - Herman Melville
• Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
• My Antonia - Willa Cather
• Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
• This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald
— Adventure —
• The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
• Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
• Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
• The Odyssey - Homer
• King Solomon's Mines - H. Rider Haggard
— Romance —
• Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
• Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
• Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare
— Science Fiction —
• The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
• 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne
• A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
— Horror —
• Dracula - Bram Stoker
• The Dunwich Horror - H.P. Lovecraft
• Frankenstein - Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
• The Fall of the House of Usher - Edgar Allan Poe
• The King in Yellow - Robert W. Chambers
• The Wendigo - Algernon Blackwood
— Mystery —
• The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
• The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie
• The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
— Biography —
• The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
• Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
• Twelve Years a Slave - Solomon Northup
— Children's —
• Peter Pan - J. M. Barrie
• Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
• The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
• Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery
— Fantasy —
• The Well at the World's End - William Morris
• Time and the Gods - Lord Dunsany
• The Wood Beyond the World - William Morris
— Philosophy —
• The Republic - Plato
• Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
• Rights of Man - Thomas Paine
— Nonfiction —
• Vindication of the Rights of Woman - Mary Wollstonecraft
• On the Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
• The Federalist Papers
• The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
— Westerns —
• Riders of the Purple Sage - Zane Grey
• The Virginian - Owen Wister
• Gunman's Reckoning - Max Brand
— Religion —
• King James Bible
• The Dhammapada
• The Quran
Read all of these classic books and hundreds more for free in Serial Reader!
• Improvements to cloud sync
• Fix for bug that could cause widget to crash
New in the previous update:
• Add your own books to Serial Reader! Add EPUB files and have Serial Reader automatically serialize them into daily issues
• Widgets! Add a handy widget to your home screen to track your current books
• Custom schedules! Pick which hour and specific days you want to receive new issues for each book
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great motivation to read and great for students
Having a reading goal for every day is great motivation to read. I even bought to premium version so I could read ahead. The 7 to 18 minute goal for reading each book your subscribed to is really reasonable and easy to fit into everyday life.
The book selection is also really good. There is also alot of books typically read in high school. So if your a student who has to read a book and struggle with keeping up with the reading I recommend this app. Pride and Prejudice takes 40 days to read, Romeo and Juliet takes 15 days to read, and the Scarlet Letter also takes 40 days. Want to impress your teacher on a book report? You can find obscure classic books like Camilla, the LGBT vampire book that predates Dracula which you can finish in 12 days.
Reading is no longer intimidating when it’s broken down into little serials that you read every day. I tried reading Pride and Prejudice a few years ago and I found remembering all the different names confusing and I stoped. Though with having a designated amount to read each day made me slow down while reading and comprehend the book better. So for all the reasons above I recommend the app.
What a great app!
I’ve only been using Serial Reader for a few days, but I’m hooked! The interface is clean and intuitive, as well as being easy to navigate. The accomplishment badges and words of encouragement are a tad bit cheesy, but they can be toggled off if you like.
Overall though, this is a great way to read a book. I started with “The Count of Monte Cristo”, a classic that I’ve been wanting to read for quite some time now, but just haven’t found time to fit into my reading schedule. The notifications come each morning, (you can set them to your own personal preference), to remind me that the next installment of my novel is available. It’s typically a 10-15 minute portion that I can read with my morning coffee.
The number of titles is somewhat limited to what, I assume, is in the public domain. But that still amounts to hundreds of the great classics! These books are available through other apps, but I really love the idea of serving it up in daily bite-size portions that don’t take up too much of my day but always leave me wanting more. Kudos to the developer for a great idea.
I would certainly recommend this app!
Can you be in love with an app?
This app has a great selection, it's easy to use, and definitely helps me feel inspired to read more. I think my favorite part is that you can link your goodreads and it automatically updates your reading progress for you. My only criticism is that I'd love if I could have on multiple devices. You can, but it's a little tricky if you don't use one device often. It messed with my streak percentage if I didn't log into both devices each day, which was really annoying, so I took it off my iPad and only use on my phone. Even if I had read my daily serials on my phone it would appear on my iPad as if they were unread and I'd have to just open and scroll through to the end so I didn't lose my streak. Free version is great and premium version is reasonably priced and worth the upgrade. This app is amazing 😍
- Michael Schmitt
- 28.7 MB
Requires iOS 13.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © 2020
- In-App Purchases
- Serial Premium $2.99
- Tip Jar - Novel $4.99
- Tip Jar - Essay $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.