Viewfinder Preview is an iPhone app for previewing camera framing for any combination of camera and lens. Instead of spending all that time setting up your big camera, just choose your desired film/sensor size and focal length in the app and point the iPhone camera at what you want to photo to verify framing. If you are happy with the framing then you can get the big camera out. The app has a large database of camera sensors details and film formats but if the format you desire isn’t there you can add your own custom format. The app is targeted at stills photographers or film makers working in either film or digital. If you don’t have your big camera with you, Viewfinder Preview is still great for photo sketching, location scouting or story boarding.
The app includes
- Customisable menus so you can include the film/sensor formats and focal lengths you care about.
- A fully configurable light meter.
- You can take photos with it, so you have a record of shots you were framing.
- Photos taken with the app include additional data that describe the film format, focal length and lighting meter settings at the time the shot was taken
- Add notes to your photos
- A photo gallery for viewing photos taken with the app which also displays the additional data
- Share images in emails, messages
- Create albums of photos from the same project, trip etc
- Create PDF documents of albums
- Film stock emulation
- Wide angle lens adapter support
- Added support for ultra wide angle camera on iPhone 11 Pro.
- Added support for dual camera.
- Improved Stability.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great tool for Large Format photogs
I use this all the time when scouting photos and deciding which lens to mount on my 4x5 or 5x7 camera. I can’t wait for the wide angle lens compatibility upgrade to use the wide angle lens on the 11-Pro to see visualizations wider than 90mm.
It would be helpfull if the expose button could be set to screen capture the whole screen with the overlay and data in addition to a setting to just take the photo only.
Thanks. Great app.
Important app for large format
Simply a fantastic app!! Getting a bit on in years so I love the fact that I can frame my shots without shlepping my full kit. The histogram is an added bonus as is the exposure info.
In addition, App offers extensive B&W emulation.
Super app for the large format photographer
Developer Response ,
Did you know you can choose a b&w film emulation to display in b&w.
Great for large format
This app is really best for large format shooters. So glad to have found it. I love how I can enter my own lens focal lengths—and even the film emulator is not bad. Simple, clean, no useless bells and whistles. Great job folks!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.