Requires a Mac with Bluetooth LE running macOS High Sierra or newer, and an iOS device with Bluetooth LE running iOS 11.2 or newer.
Please make sure your devices fully support before purchasing Unlox.
• Works with multiple Macs, iOS devices and Apple Watches at once.
• Unlock your Mac using Touch ID, Face ID, passcode, or Apple Watch..
• Interactive notifications – you don't even have to unlock your iOS device!
• Control your Mac's audio and volume – works with iTunes & Spotify!
• Manually lock your Mac or start screensavers.
• AutoLock when your iOS device moves away from your Mac.
• AutoWake & automatic unlocking when returning to your Mac.
• 3D Touch shortcuts.
• Notification Center widget – unlock your Mac from anywhere on your iOS device.
• See your MacBook's battery level in the widget.
• Share clipboard text to and from your Mac.
• Choose from beautiful colour schemes and change the app icon.
• Use to authorise tasks that require your macOS admin password. (Admin accounts only)
• Never connects to the Internet without your consent.
• Your macOS password is never broadcast and never leaves your Mac.
• Incredibly simple to use but packed full of features and options.
You don't need to open the app to unlock your Mac. Unlox Intelligently sends notifications when one of your connected Macs is woken up, which you can action directly from your iOS lock screen using either your fingerprint, face or passcode.
Action notifications when tasks require your macOS admin password, like moving protected files to Trash or changing a setting. (Admin accounts only)
You can also play, pause and skip iTunes & Spotify on your Mac remotely. Audio controls work anywhere the physical keys would on your Mac. Now you can even control your Mac's volume level!
Press hard on the app icon to quickly access settings or to lock and unlock your Macs.
Create URL schemes to lock and unlock your Mac from other apps like Shortcuts.
Clipboard sharing is built right in – share any piece of text quickly and reliably.
Enable AutoLock and your Mac will automatically lock when your iOS device moves away from it. You will even get notified when your Mac locks itself.
Enable AutoWake and your Mac will wake its display when your iOS device gets near, with the option to automatically unlock it.
Includes a handy Notification Center widget, which will show all your currently connected Macs and give you quick access to lock and unlock them from anywhere on your iOS device.
iPad HARDWARE KEYBOARD SUPPORT
Great support for hardware keyboards so you can zip about the UI really quickly and intuitively.
The iOS app needs to be paired with the free Unlox for macOS companion app, which you must download from unlox.it/get
Pairing Unlox for iOS with Unlox for macOS will enable Tap to Unlock, an exclusive way to unlock your Mac by tapping a custom tap pattern into your Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse. Exclusive to Unlox.
Unlox is not compatible with MacID.
Hello, everyone! Thank you for your continued support. Independent developers like me truly appreciate everyone's support and patience while working on updates. The best thing you can do to continue to support us is to leave a review in the App Store. Thank you!
- Provides a fix to stop Unlox for iOS' underlying database file from growing way too large, eventually crashing the app.
- Provides a fix for people who's database files were too large to load into the app, causing the app to crash before Unlox for iOS could apply the regular fix added. Unfortunately the only fix for this once it's crashing is to delete the underlying database file, so you'll need to set up again if this affects you. Apologies!
- Fixes the widget not working correctly with Dark Mode.
- Improves Unlox for watchOS, but I would like to completely re-write the Apple Watch app to make it faster and more useful..
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
It works but...
This app does actually work despite how convinced I was that it did not after purchasing. Pairing this app with my MacBook and the accompanying app for macOS was extremely whatever the opposite of straightforward is! I actually gave up on the configuration after numerous failed attempts as I was certain it did not work; however, I tried again the following morning and it synced both devices! I don’t know exactly what I did that time that I had failed to do the previous 15 times, but that morning it paired right up. Once the initial configuration is completed, it seems to keep the devices paired when the apps are running on both devices.
A must-have for Power Users
I’ve used this app since before Apple forced the developer to change the name from MacID to its current Unlox (a good substitute, but it’s too bad Apple was so protective of the “Mac” name).
Once you pair Unlox with your Mac(s)—and BTW, if you have trouble with this, nine times out of 10 it’s due to Bluetooth’s bugs and vagaries, not Unlox—the app works like a charm to unlock one or more Macs with Face ID or Touch ID. Even better, Unlox pops up whenever your Mac needs Admin authorization, which for most Power Users is multiple times in a day. Since I have a secure password that’s 15 characters long—which, with capital and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters—is a real pain to type, the amount of time Unlox saves me every day is significant!
With the additional features of clipboard sharing (which works reliably, unlike the Apple ecosystem’s Handoff), and being able to control my Mac’s audio with my iPhone or watch when I’m in another room, Unlox is worth far more than the pittance the developer asks for it.
Do yourself a favor… just buy it! 😏 you won’t be disappointed.
Totally worth it (still)!
So, I finally decided to sit down and check what was going up with MacID. Updated the mac App and got the message about the changes...I also noticed I missed my "promo" window (or something) because I'm not getting a discount, but guess what? I don't care! I hit the purchase button and set everything up in like 2 mins it was a breeze to set up and it's so snappy!
This is one of those apps that you just want to keep supporting, such a great job, the tap to unlock has been my unlocking option since I got this app. And now with Apple watch even easier.
Congratulations to the dev for getting the app accepted, Nevermind the name change, your good work speaks volumes!! Sometimes we just have to embrace the changes. Keep it up you totally deserve it and thank you for this great app!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.