Koala is the ultimate pocket-sized sampler. Record anything with your phone's mic instantly. Use Koala to create beats with those samples, add effects and create a track!
Koala’s super intuitive interface helps you make a tracks in a flash, there is no brake pedal. You can also resample the output of the app back into the input, through the effects, so the sonic possibilities are endless.
Koala's design focuses totally on making the music making progress instant, keeping you in the flow and keeping it fun, not getting bogged down by pages of parameters and micro-editing.
"Been putting that $4 koala sampler to good use lately. Undeniably great tool that puts some of these expensive beat boxes to shame. A must cop."
-- flying lotus, twitter
* Record up to 64 different samples with your mic
* Transform your voice or any other sound with 16 superb built-in fx
* Load your own samples
* Choose from one of 250 built-in sounds
* Resample the output of the app back into a new sample
* Export loops or entire tracks as professional quality WAV files
* Direct export to Ableton Live Set
* Copy/paste or merge sequences just by dragging them
* Create beats with the high-resolution sequencer
* Import samples using AudioShare or just open them in Koala
* Keyboard mode lets you play chromatically or one of 9 scales
* Quantize, add swing to get the right feel
* Normal/One-shot/Loop/Reverse playback of samples
* 6 Choke groups
* Attack, release and tone adjustable on each sample
* Add any (or all) of the 8 effects to the entire mix
* AUv3 compatible - use in GarageBand, Logic, Cubasis etc etc
* AudioBus 3.0 and Inter-App Audio compatible
* MIDI controllable - play your samples on a keyboard, map the effects to knobs
* Jam with others over WiFi with Ableton Link
* Free copy of Ableton Live Lite included
* Use AI to separate samples into individual instruments (drums, bass, vocals and other)
* Set your own background image and choose from a growing list of background visual FX.
8 Built-in Microphone FX:
* More Bass
* More Treble
* Octave up
* Octave down
16 Built-in DJ Mix FX:
* Comb filter
* Ring modulator
* Resonant High/Low Pass Filters
* Tempo Delay
Features included in SAMURAI In-App Purchase
* Timestretch (4 modes: Modern, Retro, Beats and Re-pitch)
* Piano roll editor
* Auto-chop (auto, equal, and lazy chop)
* 3 Band EQ
* Pocket operator sync out
mixer purchase is accessible without requiring samurai.
Ratings and Reviews
Packs a mean punch for the price
This is the best multisampler app I’ve tried so far on iOS by far. The features here rival those of some of the best hardware samplers with only a couple of minor limitations. You can sequence full tracks within the app pretty easily, the entire workflow from getting and manipulating samples to sequencing and exporting the song is pretty straightforward and the stems extraction feature is only seen in one other sampler I know of so far which is only available on pc/Mac so this is cutting edge sampling capability for a mobile software.
As a producer/engineer that started his journey early 90’s on an Ensoniq Eps16+ I miss having the ability to quickly chop samples and build kits, I use GarageBand iOS for recording on the go but the main features missing fom GarageBand iOS are available by using this apps Auv3 version as a plugin or dumping sequences thru IAA and both methods work pretty well I must say. There are 2 main features I’d like to see added that would make it a more comprehensive sampler, those being the ability to layer sounds nondestructively (currently you have to resample) and the ability to map key zones for sampled instruments. There are a few other tweaks if I were to nitpick but I rated it 5 stars anyway because this app is beyond awesome for what it does and I’m sure feature improvements will be equally dazzling.
Amazingly designed app. Incredibly fun and inspiring to work with. And the extra (very reasonably priced) add-ons greatly increase functionality. I’ve only had this app for a couple days and I already have multiple projects going. That said, I have run into multiple bugs during the short time that I’ve been playing around with this app, including one in which the audio can suddenly become incredibly loud and distorted. No fun if you’re wearing headphones.. Also, I have to deduct one star because I feel the the app could benefit from a couple basic features. As someone who works with a lot of ambient, drone-type samples, I believe the sample editor desperately needs some sort of loop crossfade functionality. Also, simple LP/HP filters would go a long way. All in all, a very powerful and fun app. Would highly recommend to anyone. Will update my review when the bugs are inevitably ironed out.
Update: After some bug fixes and the recent inclusion of sample crossfade functionality, I can now say that this app is pure perfection. Amazing job by the developer!
The Best I’ve seen on IOS so far!
First of all I’d like to say I hope you [The Developer] never sell out like some of these other music apps have. I can tell a lot of thought was put into making this App and I sincerely hope you continue to be successful and genuine on you’re journey!
As far as the app itself I’d say it’s quite literally what I’ve been looking for all day. I’ve bounced back from app to app, even GarageBand and I gotta say this app is well worth it and I highly favor it now over the last couple things i’ve downloaded.
The premium price is well worth what your getting and it even comes in parts. So your not paying for more than what you need. I’m happy to find there is no subscription. And there isn’t a million add-ons I need to buy every time I want ONE more single feature. It’s fair and well worth what your paying.
I’m able to take files straight out of my iPhone, throw it into the app on some Pads, chop it up and create patterns straight off my phone with ease! Among a plethora of other things I haven’t even discovered yet.
I really just wanted something I could use while on the go when I’m out’n about feeling inspired. All I got left to say is this app among an overly saturated App Store full of glitchy, uninspired, greedy Music Production apps is amazing and well worth the cost.
Trust if you continue down this path of being altruistic and offering quality along side reliability I will continue to support you!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Marek Bereza
- 72.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 elf audio
- In-App Purchases
- Samurai Edition $3.99
- Mixer $4.99
- Koala AUv3 Plugin $1.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.