• Read Ahead provides short and enjoyable 5-10 minute daily practice sessions which help pianists quickly develop their sight-reading ability.
• Innovative training exercises are incorporated into a carefully designed curriculum built around high quality music by a variety of composers.
• Read Ahead is designed to help piano students (children 10+ and adults) build the right habits and develop the skills necessary to fluently read music at their skill level.
• Designed to be integrated into a regular practice schedule.
• Fun for students to practice daily.
• Easy for busy teachers to incorporate into lessons and track progress.
• 36 daily exercise routines at each level.
Daily lesson plans consists of:
• Warm-up exercises to train memory, vision and touch.
• Read Ahead exercises to train students to read ahead of where they are playing.
• Sight-reading music from traditional ‘fixed' scores to pull it all together.
• Completed Level 4 with the addition of section 4C
Level 4 can now be purchased in its entirety.
• Improved Navigation. The app now takes you to the last section you were on when you restart or at the end of the day instead of always returning you to section A.
• Added sight-reading quotes to the Welcome page.
• Fixed bug where the Title and Composer disappear too soon on Read Ahead exercises with repeats on the first page.
• Beautification to the store and numerous cosmetic improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Quietly amazing app.
This app might not look as fancy as many of the other ones on the app store right now, but after downloading ten different sight reading apps and trying them all over the past week, this one is easily my favorite. You can tell this app was made by people actually trying to help others learn music. It's extrmely methodical, and its main "gimmick," erasing the measure you're currently supposed to be playing, is genius, and *forces* you to sight read ahead of where you're playing, whether you want to or not!
Fantastic learning tool. My sight reading is improving significantly already. My thanks to the authors. The whole app is currently free until June because of Covid-19, but I'll still be purchasing to support such a helpful learning tool. Being able to sight read is a priceless gift to me!
Developer Response ,
We are so glad you are finding Read Ahead Useful. We really chose to focus our limited resources on content and pedagogy over gimmicky features and distracting graphics so it is great to hear that it is appreciated!
Excellent resource for private and group instruction
This app helps develop one of the most important aspects of sight reading, and does so through engaging and well-selected repertoire.
I have used the app in group piano settings and student response has been very positive. I will certainly continue to include it in my teaching, and highly recommend it to anyone trying to develop or improve sight reading skills efficiently.
Great, but buggy
Love the concept and design of this and would definitely like to use it with my students, but have noticed some issues that will make it difficult, like lag or inconsistency in the way the disappearing measures advance, particularly across page turns and repeats. Occasionally have had whole pages of music disappear then reappear as the counter advances. Also had the metronome get stuck on the tempo setting page, then when I advanced to the sight reading page, there was a second metronome for that, causing two unsynchronized clicks. If these bugs can be sorted, this would be a really awesome teaching tool!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Anacrusis LLC
- 42.4 MB
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Anacrusis LLC
- In-App Purchases
- ReadAhead Level 1A $3.99
- ReadAhead Level 1B $3.99
- ReadAhead Level 1 $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.