Buttercup is an open-source password manager, available on all major platforms. It helps you track and store your login information for any service you use - personal or for work - in a securely encrypted archive that you store where you want.
Buttercup archives contain groups and entries so that you can easily manage your login credentials. There’s also a desktop application and browser extension available, so you can access your archives and credentials on every platform you use.
All information stored within Buttercup archives is private and encrypted - available only to those with your master password. Keep this password secret and don’t use it for any other login! Once you have your login details stored within Buttercup, you can concentrate on remembering only the 1 password (for Buttercup) - all other passwords can be long, gibberish text to increase security, and you don’t have to remember them!
Buttercup’s features (non-exhaustive):
- Store an unlimited number of login details
- Save your archive to a variety of storage providers
- Autofill login forms
- OTP/2FA codes (adding and displaying)
- Open sites stored within the app by the touch of a button
- Open archives auto-lock and close after 10 minutes of inactivity
- Unlock archives using fingerprint authentication (or FaceID on supporting iPhones)
- Archive contents hidden when app is put to background
- Ability to add multiple archives
- Open archives in offline mode
- Search the contents of open vaults
Buttercup is designed to be used with free-to-use cloud storage providers, such as Dropbox, Google Drive and WebDAV-enabled services.
We've integrated our new password manager core, version 5, to improve stability and performance for larger vaults. We've also fixed search, and made some stability improvements to autofill.
Ratings and Reviews
So close! WebDav option is bugged.
I was trying this over bitwarden. I got the desktop and firefox extension working with 2 remote webdav archives. Cool. But for some reason this app consistently hangs on the archives list page just after providing the webdav server credentials.
I could see both of my .bcup archives, but the app completely stops responding to all user input. Had to swipe up to force quit. Tried it 3-4 times with the same hang each time.
So close! I do like this solution overall, but this app needs a bit of work. I’m sure the devs will fix this soon enough.
Perhaps search functionality is broken
I’m not sure if it’s the update that cause the search function to be broken or the custom fields. Please fix the search functionality.
Great open source password manager
Takes a little work to get started but it’s an excellent app. I am switching from 1pw to this and don’t notice any difference in functionality with auto fill, etc. Support open source!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Perry Mitchell
- 26.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2020 MadDev Oy
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.