Dawn Patrol 4+
Surf Tracking for your Watch
Dawn Patrol Surf Tracking
- Offers In-App Purchases
Go Surfing with your Apple Watch
Your Apple Watch is a Surf Watch with Dawn Patrol.
The best surf tracker for Apple Watch, with todays surf forecast(*) of your favourite beaches on your wrist and as widgets also easily accessible on your phone.
FREE for all surfers:
• Track and Analyse your surf
• Record your surf work-outs
• Count your waves
• View them on a map
• Have the actual tide forecast on your wrist*
• Know your top speed
• Beat your personal records
• Measure your wave time
• Know your distance surfed per wave and in total
• Measure your heart rate and calories burned in the Health and Activity apps
• Relive and share your surf session
• Surfline compatible: watch back any wave you ride in front of a Surfline camera
Extra for SOUL SURFERS (Monthly or Yearly subscription(*)):
• Your Watch as a beautiful Surf Watch with our Surf Forecasting Complications
• Track your paddling, learn about your paddle efficiency
• In-depth surf analytics
• Todays surf forecast on your Watch even while you surf
• Immediate access to the surf forecast of multiple spots on your phone using our state of the art widgets
• Learn to understand your beach better by knowing the tide vs. waves caught
Dawn Patrol integrates with the Health App and Activity App. It measures your heart rate and calories burned.
The first and best surf tracker for Apple Watch
(*) SOUL SURFER SUBSCRIPTION DETAILS
• The Soul Surfer subscription is available as a monthly or a yearly subscription
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
• Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period
• Subscriptions may be managed by you and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your Account Settings on the App Store after purchase
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable
For the full Terms and Conditions of this service: https://www.dawnpatrol.cloud/terms and https://www.dawnpatrol.cloud/privacy
We hope you all enjoy the new look of Dawn Patrol.
With this update we have made some small improvements on the performance of this new version.
Ratings and Reviews
Bring the tide back please
Isn't it ironic that as a paying Soul Surfer, you can access information about what the tide *was* during your sesh, but Dawn Patrol have recently removed that information from the screen when you're actually surfing!? Knowing the tide at a given moment and when it will next turn is, in some spots, a huge determinant re: whether one should stay in the water. Am I in the middle of a very long lull, or has the tide risen and swamped out the spot? The tide number would provide important clues. It's often a major safety consideration too--at some spots I surf, rocks and reef become dangerously close to the surface or start to emerge at certain tides. It's very important for me to know not just where we are in the tide cycle, but the actual number. 2 feet. 5 feet. -1.5 feet. Both for the in-session screen and the watch complications, it has become increasingly difficult to understand what the tide is now and when it'll turn. The charts that currently load look cool but are practically far less useful than the previous setup. because the actual numbers have been left out.
Suggestion: I don't care about my total wave time, nor seeing the tide graph complication with unmarked axes showing what it’ll be at 2am. Can you please remove those and give me the tide numbers within the session interface again so I can make important go/no-go decisions in the water and surf more safely? Thank you!
Developer Response ,
Hi, Thank you for your feedback, this is very useful for us. Would you mind updating the app to the latest version on the App Store? We have done exactly as per your suggestion as clear as possible. Hope this works well for you. Please let us know if this works better for you (email@example.com).
It was a few years back when I started seeing gps surf watches that tracked your sessions and didn’t think until now that there might just be an app for my Apple Watch. The first time I used it was pretty straight forward. You just start your session and forget about it. It was pretty cool to glance at my wrist after every wave and see how far I went or how fast I was going. Then getting out of the water and looking at the more detailed stats on my phone when I got back to my car was pretty cool, especially the map that shows the waves you caught. It can even display the waves you attempted to catch but didn’t. I’m usually in the water for about an hour on weekdays before I have to get my day started and I found myself trying to reach certain goals like 15 waves before the hour is up. Since the watch app shows it at a quick glance, it makes you want to try harder and challenge yourself. I probably won’t be wearing my watch in the water all that much because I hate getting a watch tan, but every once in a while this would be a great way to get some unique stats about your surfing.
Highly inaccurate surf tracking
I’ve had this app for a few years now. I even subscribe to the Soul Surfer forecast because the complication looks cool on my watch. But that’s the only good thing about this app - the complication looks cool on the Apple watch. The surf tracking is horrible. It captures very few waves than the actual number of waves caught. Like seriously way off. Sometimes it even records zero waves. I observe this issue at different surf spots. I contacted the developer a couple of years ago and they told me to set the sensitivity to Slow. Did that, still did not record the waves. Then I tried setting the sensitivity to Medium and Fast, neither helped. I deleted the app from my phone and my watch and reinstalled, did not help. I turned off and on the watch before every session to make sure the watch is reset, did not help. Nothing that I tried helped. And I have gone through two Apple watches - still the same issue. I keep waiting for a fix that never came to this day. If you use Surfline Sessions on your watch, you’ll see Surfline Sessions is even way more accurate than this app. Don’t waste your time on this, and especially your money on the Soul Surfer subscription. It’s total garbage. I’ll just get the Rip Curl GPS 2 instead, which I should have done a long time ago. I wish the developer cared enough to fix this, but it’s been years and nothing has changed. I guess they just don’t care enough once they hook you in with the Soul Surfer subscription.
Developer Response ,
Hi, thanks for your review. It's good that you have changed the sensitivity settings, this sometimes work, although in 2-4 ft the medium setting should work alright.
We use the GPS information provided by the device you use in the water. This works well in general, however on some beaches or some occasions the GPS info could be less accurate than others. With every release we improve the app and the accuracy of the measurements. We keep learning from the data we’re getting onwards. Please continue to use the app and you'll find out it'll also work well in 2-4 ft waves in general. Happy surfing!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Dawn Patrol Surf Tracking
- 75.9 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
English, Dutch, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Dawn Patrol Surf Tracking
- In-App Purchases
- Soul Surfer (Monthly) $3.49
- Soul Surfer (Yearly) $27.49
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.