Harry's Sailor is a GPS based navigation tool / sailing companion. Like all apps from Harry's GPS Suite it uses an advanced GPS Engine developed and maintained for a decade. For this Sailor app, the engine was expanded for the specific situation on a ship. One example for this expansion is treatment of speed. GPS is weak delivering exact speed informations at low vessel speeds making it necessary to utilize special algorithms.
This version brings a number of unique features to the iPhone platform. Examples are: visualization and measurement of heeling including a visual alarm when heeling in larger that 20 / 25 degree; display of racing rule #10: when boats are on opposite tacks, a port-tack boat shall keep clear of a starboard-tack boat; full navigation support, course can be defined using polar coordinates, defined waypoints, or using a course given; full integration of Google Maps; while navigation is started, deviation from course, distance to waypoint, and velocity made good (VMG) is displayed continuously; extensive reference on nautic information: signal flags, morse code, buoyages, lights and shapes, wind speed; finally, a full trip recorder including statistics, ports visited, and Google Earth export.
Sailor requires an iOS device featuring GPS. In case you want to use an iPod touch, an external GPS mouse needs to be added. Compatible devices are listed on www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios.
This is our next major release. It is free for all existing users!
- Reworked all logging format importers (VBO, GPX, NMEA), added support for as-is imports (VBO, NMEA)
- Refactor all dialogs, fixed dead locks
- Modernized launch screen for late iOS versions
- Modernized various user interface areas for late iOS versions
- Added a health check for disconnected external sensors
- Fixed delta display of temperatures when using Fahrenheit
- Added track subtype for Water (for Jetski, motorboat, sailing competition)
- Fixed crash when restoring a database
- Updated traditional Chinese translation
- Added build number to system information
- Massive refactoring in several areas
Ratings and Reviews
Merges features of multiple higher priced apps
I have used Harry's on my sailboat for about a year now, and am very glad I purchased this app. Each of the four primary screens can be bought as stand alone sailing apps elsewhere, but I have not found one app which combines the Navigation, Boat Dynamics, GPS movement data, GPS map, waypoint management and references that this app provides.
I mount this appication on the pelorus, and turn off every other thing on the boat except for apparent wind, cuz I no loger need it - Harry's Sailor does it better than my entire $10,000 instrument suite.
Still a good app, but I'd like the compass to integrate with the 3G S or iPhone 4 compass, instead of relying only on GPS for compass data for the above stated phones. Maybe a setting option on newer phones to use the built in compass.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Harald Schlangmann
- 48 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Harald Schlangmann
- In-App Purchases
- Satellites Feature $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.