Focus Matrix is a smart personal organizer based on the so-called Eisenhower box, a personal productivity strategy created by Dwight Eisenhower, the 34th President of the United States. The principle uses a special priority matrix that helps break your tasks into several groups depending on their urgency and importance, and work your way through your daily agenda in the most efficient way possible. This app will help you focus on what really matters, and get rid of the things that can be painlessly delegated to others or postponed indefinitely until you have time for them.
The key features:
- Two views: Matrix and List of Sections
- Move tasks between sections using drag-and-drop
- Maximize a section to get a closer look at its content
- Use the “Inbox” section for tasks which are needed to be sorted by quadrants
- Set “All day task” to plan tasks for the whole working day
- Sort tasks by title, due date or manually
- Assign due dates to tasks
- Set reminders to never miss an important deadline
- Tasks that are approaching their due dates are automatically carried over from the Not Urgent category to the Urgent list with user notification
- Delegate tasks by email, messages, etc. (through the context menu)
- Task lists can be shared to Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Editing of multiple tasks at once
- Copying and pasting of tasks within the program, as well as from/to other applications
- Search and tags support
- Task filtering by tags and statuses (completed/uncompleted)
- Export to PDF or print the task list
- Configurable statistics and reports for completed tasks
- Password protection
- Also available for iPhone and iPad
Pro version features:
- Cross-device synchronization*
- Seamless integration with Calendar (synchronization of tasks, due and remind dates)
- Integration with Be Focused**: synchronization of tasks and their statuses, possibility to start a timer in Be Focused right from Focus Matrix
* Sync with iOS devices requires Focus Matrix for iOS, sold separately.
** Be Focused helps you get things done by breaking up individual tasks among discrete intervals. It’s available for Mac and iOS devices in App Store.
• Minor fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Nice but has some flaws
I have severe ADHD; Ritalin poster child here. A priority matrix and a task timer is much more than a necessity for me; it's life-essential. I have the Focus Matrix synced across my devices along with Be Focused Pro. I really like it but there are a couple things that annoy me. First, I can't control the duration of any task. I can set a due date/time, and a reminder of when the is due, but if I need to spend, say, 3 hours on a task, I have no way of setting that. I have to open my calendar, go to the task and change the duration there. I don't know yet how that will work with Be Focused as I just upgraded to Pro. There's also no drop-down for the due date/time, which means changing it manually each time. In short, the focus matrix is great for setting tasks and priorities, but not for setting a schedule on my calendar according to the tasks I must complete at work each day.
Excellent for focusing on today’s must-do items
I like the matrix approach to to-do items, which I first encountered in Steven Covey’s “Seven Habits…” book. This simple app lets me organize my to-do’s in a way that I can easily select the 4 tasks that must be done today (similar to Zen Habits). I put the first step as the title, and the next steps in the notes, so that complex tasks can be accomplished step by step, without losing track. I set up the next step before I delete a step that I’ve checked off.
I gave this 5 stars, even though it lacks one feature that I miss; I can’t keep a record of accomplished tasks, for review of progress or other reasons. I decided it’s helping me to just focus on today, for now, and not spend too much time ruminating over what I actually was able to accomplish on a previous day.
Revised upward opinion—now 5 stars
This app has a nice interface and works quite well on my phone. I downloaded and paid for the Iphone version and for the Mac version. Switched to a new Mac and it would not sync when I tried to log in. Also even on a MacBook Pro, when entering a due date it takes several seconds for the calendar to pop up. so almost a great app, but needs optimization.
My mistake, I needed to reregister on my mac with the same login and it synched perfectly. Also the calendar is now very responsive, not sure if it’s new computer or software update. Excellent app that is working perfectly and actually helping me get things done.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.