Calibre Companion (CC), recommended by calibre developers, is three applications in one:
- a superb device-based calibre library organiser
- a high-performance WiFi-based calibre device emulator
- a calibre content server and cloud provider client (Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive)
1) CC is a device-based calibre library organiser. Once you put books on your device using one of the connection methods described below you can:
- view a book's metadata (author, tags, series, rating, dates, etc.).
- sort and group books by their metadata.
- see book lists by cover or by list.
- mark books read and sync this information with calibre.
- launch your book reader application to read a book
2) CC can connect to calibre over WiFi and be detected by calibre as a device. Once connected, you use calibre to move books to and from your device. Calibre automatically updates all the book metadata stored by CC to match the latest in your library.
3) CC can connect to calibre’s content server or to your cloud provider to browse your library and download books to your device. Supports Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive.
For more information see our FAQ (http://cc_faq.multipie.co.uk/)
Notes: CC is not a reader app. You must install and use one of the many excellent reader apps available. You must also already use calibre to manage your library of ebooks.
- Various UI improvements
- Subscription Model
- Swift Upgrade, the program is 2.4x faster
Ratings and Reviews
version 1.3.1 buggy on ipad
I have been using CC for a while on my iPad and iPhone and it has worked without flaw in the past, but since IOS 11 came out it has been kind of glitchy. It was offline for a while but now the update has made it compatible with IOS 11, it is working fine on my iPhone, but still a few issues with iPad.
The app serves me well and I do recommend it for getting your books from calibre to your preferred device.
Has worked flawlessly for for me for years
Man! I just do not get these negative reviews. It organizes the books in Calibre in a number of useful ways and provides a very easy way to transfer the books. My Calibre library is stored on Dropbox, so no matter where I am, as long as I have an internet connection, I can get any of my books without connection to my PC, which is quite useful since I never take my PC traveling. Sure there are a number of other ways to set up Calibre to access your books, locally and remotely, but none as simple and reliable as CC.
Worked great until the upgrade.
After the upgrade, this app seems to have a mind of it’s own. I also lost all of my books. Plus I can’t get the app to do anything now. It was just a big waste of money! It bothers me that the developers released a buggy update with KNOWN PROBLEMS and seemingly no concern for potential loss of an entire library of books. It also bothers me that when I bought the app, I believed it to be a one-time purchase. The new developer is planning on making this app subscription based. Great, now we are going to be nickeled and dimed on something that should be free to use after the initial purchase. Based on the way we have been treated by this developer, I will be reluctant to purchase anything by Mr. Cohen again. Greed and ineptitude have ruined a great product.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.