VOLT is a virtual analog synthesizer designed to create classic synth sounds while emphasising expressive play.
With full support for multidimensional polyphonic expression (MPE) - VOLT is a great companion to any Seaboard player.
* Polyphonic Virtual Analog Synthesizer
* Expressive synth engine with MPE, poly-, channel aftertouch & 4D touch keyboard
* 5 Keyboard Layouts (Classic, Uniform, String, Scale & Chord)
* Built-in stereo effects
* 100+ fine tuned factory presets
* Supports ROLI Seaboard, LinnStrument, Geoshred and others out of the box
* Standalone operation with support for USB audio interfaces, wired, network & bluetooth MIDI
* Audio Unit v3 Extension
* Inter App Audio support
* Audiobus support
* Ableton Link
* Variable waveshape
* Variable pulse-width (on all waves)
* Detunable sub & noise source
* SEM style state-variable filter
* LFO per voice
* Dual ADSR
* Poly drive (per voice distortion)
* 8x Polyphony / Unison
* Detune / Slop
* Pan Spread
* 3x stereo effect units
* Vintage Chorus
* Digital Delay (syncable)
* Epic Reverb
* MPE MIDI hardware including but not limited to ROLI Seaboard Rise, Seaboard Block, Lightpad Block
* MPE MIDI software including but not limited to Geoshred, Geoshred Control
* Regular MIDI keyboards featuring channel or poly aftertouch, pitch- and mod wheels
* Onscreen 2D Touch Keyboard (supports slide and glide)
* Plain MIDI Input
* Factory bank including 100+ expressive presets ready to play out of the box
* Preset Management with Templates & Categories
* Shared User Presets between Standalone and AUv3 versions
* Preset Export & Import via Files.app, Airdrop etc.
* iCloud Drive Support
* AUv3 Instrument
* Inter-App Audio Instrument
* Audiobus Instrument
- Added Preset Store with 3 initial preset packs including over 100 fresh patches from Jakob Haq, Stuart Kilbride and the Numerical Team
- Added 2 New Keyboard Layouts: Scale & Chord
- Added support direct preset import from Files.app (Preset Browser -> Import)
- Added support for fullscreen mode when using the AUv3
- MIDI CC Mappings can now be set right from the main screen
- MIDI CC Mapping and CC Remote Control is now also available in the AUv3 plugin
- Added Info Mode with built-int descriptions for all controls
- Rate controls now update properly when switching between free running and tempo synced modes
- Fixed an issue where it wasn't possible to MIDI map parameters with invalid default CC#
- Fixed an issue where scrolling would not work properly when using AUv3 in fullscreen mode
- Fixed an issue where parameter automation and macros would not work properly in NanoStudio 2 (and possible other hosts as well)
- Fixed an issue where the main UI would not layout properly when running on an 11inch iPad
- Fixed an issue where applying velocity cause audible artifacts in some cases
- Fixed an issue where modulating amp level would cause audible artifacts
- Fixed an issue where applying pan-spread could cause audible artifacts in some cases
- Fixed an issue where applying velocity cause audible artifacts in unison patches
- Fixed an issue where the keyboard settings would not layout properly in some cases
- Fixed an issue where some patches could kill the audio engine when loaded from a specific state
- Fixed an issue where CC mappings could not be changed once set
- Performance improvements
- Minor visual tweaks
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Wonderful MPE synth with vintage flavor
I’m a ROLI Seaboard player, always looking for instruments that will play nicely with MPE. I mostly use my MacBook for sound generation, but sometimes traveling light is the order of the day, and Volt has fast become a favorite on iOS.
A lot of MPE-compatible apps sort of end at “compatible” — the function is there, but it’s not very musical in its application. Volt makes is easier than even ROLI to map parameters to and apply modulation using 5D touch, and the sounds are much more geared toward the classic synth tones I’m always chasing. I will say that Roli’s MPE synth offerings are still more responsive to, and integrated with, the Seaboard, but their iOS offerings are inflexible, walled-garden, demo-level instruments. Moog’s Model D app still wins out as far as dead-ringer vintage sounds, but it’s not nearly as natural to play using MPE.
So all hail Volt, and kudos to any developer who puts in the hours to make something as expressive, versatile, and sleek as this synth. Any instrument this good at this price is a no-brainer. Enjoy it!
Really awesome but having issues
This is a really beautiful synth app in terms of both sound quality and its interface. However the latest version is creating some audio problems on my iPad (6th gen). With some of the presets, as soon as a touch a key, the VU meter goes full blast (into the red), and I hear zero audio. When I remove my fingers from the keys, the volume is still maxed out in the red almost as if it’s stuck in some sort of feedback loop... but still no audio at all. What’s more interesting is that if I switch to any other app while Volt is in this state, I can’t get audio from those apps either. So it seems like Volt is causing some kind of system-wide audio problem. I’d love to be able to use Volt in a live performance situation because it sounds fantastic when it works. However, this problem makes that impossible.
Very smart design❣️
Increased my rating by 1 star to counter zodthemagnificent’s (lol) unfair rating.
Thank you. And, naturally, I hit the ‘+’ for incrementing the playing preset and lost my settings again. Anyway, the far right ‘+’. :-) The fonts could be larger in the preset display screens and the orange selection highlight bar makes reading what’s highlighted hard.
Tried saving my preset and Volt crashed, losing everything. 😡Not sure why three UI button views as FX is displayed with Main on my 12.9” iPad Pro. I can’t save any presets! Volt keeps crashing when I do. Having the digital readout for the controls under the control, your finger covers the value. Any latched key/s graphic disappears when you move the octave slider to another octave and back. You can’t tell what note/s are latched. Shelving Volt until the preset saving issue is fixed.
I saw a pre-release video so it was just a matter of having patience waiting to get it. lol This is going to be fun. The thick, toothy rolling layered sound I can get out of Volt is pretty crazy❣️
Developer Response ,
I'm afraid that's a rather embarrassing bug as this non working/app crashing save button is a left over from an older version of the preset manager which should have been removed completely. So instead of using the "Save" button you would save a preset by tapping the "+" button located on the upper right.
I realize that's not obvious at all and apologise for any frustration this may have caused. The good news however is that the issue is fixed in the upcoming update which has been submitted already and should be available shortly.
- Kai Aras
- 73.9 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2017-2019 Kai Aras
- In-App Purchases
- haQ attaQ paQ $4.99
- Red Sky Lullaby Pack $4.99
- Dub Pack
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.