The world’s bestselling advanced-level dictionary for learners of English, in an app!
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 10th edition builds English vocabulary better than ever before and leads the way to more confident, successful communication in English.
This free download includes 100 sample entries from the new Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary 10th edition. To gain access to the full app with all features, please open the app and select the Catalogue tab to subscribe for 1 month, 1 year, or 4 years. To try a 2-day trial of the full app for free, simply open the app and select ‘Free 2-day trial’ within the Catalogue tab.
With the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 10th edition app, you can...
Expand your vocabulary and develop more natural sounding English
• Over 86,000 words, 95,000 phrases, 112,000 meanings and 237,000 examples, including 2,000+ NEW words and meanings.
• Access the full A-Z offline to learn on the go wherever you are.
• Usage notes help you produce more natural sounding English, e.g. Is it 'borrow' or 'lend'? The 'Which word?' note explains.
• Learn synonyms, collocations (words which go together) and everyday expressions.
• Search for and study phrasal verbs and idioms.
• NEW Learn the Oxford 3000™ and Oxford 5000™, graded by CEFR level.
• NEW Learn OPAL (Oxford Phrasal Academic Lexicon) academic vocabulary.
• NEW Word of the Day every day, which you can share with your friends.
• Learn lists of related vocabulary with pre-loaded Favourites folders on a range of issues, including the environment, social issues and politics.
• NEW Test your vocabulary with the fun quiz feature.
• Colour illustrations to aid comprehension and enrich your vocabulary.
Get added listening practice and improve your pronunciation
• Listen to real voice audio for words and example sentences, in both British and American accents.
• Practise pronunciation - listen to the real voice audio for words, record yourself and then play it back to compare.
• NEW Listen to English words from other countries around the world recorded by native speakers.
Find exactly what you want quickly and easily
• Full text search - find your word, idiom, phrasal verb, or example sentence anywhere in the dictionary.
• Tap any word in an entry to instantly look it up.
• Look up words directly from many popular apps, such as Safari.
Organise and personalize your favourite entries
• Create lists of your favourite entries, and create folders and subfolders to store them.
• Export your Favourite lists and History list.
We hope you will like this update, as we have addressed two issues requested by users. In addition, we have added new words and meanings to the dictionary to keep OALD up to date with world events.
This update includes:
• New app icon
• Dark Mode (for iOS 13 or later)
• New words and entries connected to the coronavirus pandemic
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Hey, I’ve been using OALD 9 for over 3 years and recently purchased 1 year plan. Overall, I find it OKAY.... but what annoys me the most is a lot of bugs! I mean, whenever I open the app, it suddenly stops music, podcast or whatever I was listening to! I suppose this app itself is quite unstable and it keeps crashing especially switching from another app to this! Please fix these issues as soon as possible. :(
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your comments. We will take your feedback on board. Best wishes, the Oxford Learner's Dictionaries team
In general I'm loving this app
In general I'm loving this app. Nice features and contents and all that. But there's several bugs, especially when I'm using this on my ipad as the side app. Sometimes searching doesn't work so I have to close it and open it again. And It kind of annoys me when it pauses my music whenever I start this app. Also history needs fixing. It often includes words I didn't look up.
That said, other satisfying features make up for those. Full text search is amazing and helpful. I would've given five stars if it weren't for a few bugs.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for the positive review! We've made a note of your comments and will use them to inform our future updates. We hope you continue to enjoy the app
Incompatibe with older version and web subscription
A brand new dictionary version that ditches compatibility with old version and Oxford ID web subscription, forcing us to pay twice for the app. Also, the dictionary app is now subscription-based contrary to previous version when we just need to buy it once. And ironically, the web version is free (with ads but I don’t mind), you only pay for some premium features (iSpeaker, iWriter). Why would you want us to pay for this app just for looking up the words when it clearly lacks premium features?
Not to mention, we cannot change the font size of the definition, only the UI, which is a major backward compared to OALD8/9.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your comments.
Please note that you can continue using your OALD 9th edition app with no obligation to subscribe to OALD 10th edition.
We're sorry that you are disappointed by subscription. Our app contains a variety of benefits to our free website, including a quiz feature, offline access, multiple search modes, and much more.
To change the font size of the definition, please go to Settings>General>Change size of entries and other text.
We hope that alleviates some of your concerns and that you continue to benefit from our products.
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
the Oxford Learner's Dictionaries team
- Oxford University Press ELT
- 146.6 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2020 Oxford University Press
- In-App Purchases
- Free 3-day trial
- One-month access to OALD10 app $0.99
- One-year access to OALD10 app $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.