"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full 2D and 3D physics engines for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at https://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
Codea runs on your iPhone too
We've spent the last year taking every piece of Codea and making it work beautifully in the palm of your hand
There's a brand new code editor that scales with your screen. All example projects have been touched up for iPhone. Everything from the Shader Lab to the color picker has had a makeover
Oh, we've also added support for the latest features in iOS:
- Automatic setting for your editor theme to follow the system theme
- Support for context menus and card style UI
(And there's a new icon)
Ratings and Reviews
It’s very versatile and powerful! I’m very glad that it includes references and examples, as they are VERY helpful. One question, though, does this support Mfi controllers? If not, is there a possibility of that being a feature?
The most versatile iPad coding app, ever!
This is not a toy app. It’s a serious Lua IDE with serious set of very good libraries that allow you to create non-trivial apps of your own. It’s very suitable to learn coding (i.g lua) and a platform to create apps you want to. I literally have been coding with this app while I am standing on the train during my commute.
Developer Response ,
Glad you like it. Can't wait to get the next version to you.
A Fantastic Tool!!!!
This makes the new iPad I just got that much more insane. Developing good games in iOS... Mind blown... Not to mention the developers responses to reviews are funny and attentive. This is money well spent and highly recommended!
- Two Lives Left
- 112.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Two Lives Left
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.