Record all your outdoor activities be it hiking, jogging, cycling, or canoeing, and observe real-time statistics on your Apple Watch.
Trails records and displays your geo coordinates along with comprehensive statistics including duration, distance, altitude, ascent/descent, speed, pace, step count (iPhone 5S and newer), and many more. Capture photos, mark waypoints and create segments along your path to complete your recording. No login required, no automatic uploads or data sharing, no ads!
Import tracks from GPX files, let Trails guide you along imported or self-recorded tracks and see your progress along the way. Topographic maps display elevation lines, ski slopes, lifts, and other relevant landscape information. Get Trails Pro to unlock imports, routing, offline topographic maps, and more.
◉ Your Logbook
• Dashboard: View and filter activity summaries across multiple tracks
• Tags: Organize and filter your tracks
• Track analysis: Compare any two graphable statistics in zoomable, interactive graphs
• Heatmaps: Spot peaks at a glance
• Editing: Split and cut segments, insert waypoints
◉ Apple Watch Support
• Start and stop recordings, see live statistics, track your active energy & heart rate
• Apple Watch Series 2: Record GPS tracks without your phone
◉ Tightly Integrated
• Health & Activity app: Save track summaries to your Health database
• Today Widget: Start/stop recordings & see live statistics
• Siri: Start, stop, and resume recordings
• Spotlight (system search): Find existing tracks, waypoints and photos, or start recording from Spotlight
• 3D Touch on the homescreen: Access your last track or start recording immediately
• Bluetooth accessories: Pair external heart rate monitors and bike computers (cycling speed & cadence)
◉ Privacy-Focussed Sharing
• Wi-Fi sharing: View your tracks on a bigger screen without uploading them to the internet
• Export: Share tracks as GPX files, upload them directly to supported services, or create a weblink via Trails.io (see https://trails.io/s/2xal4g/ for an example)
• No login required, no automatic uploads or data sharing, no ads
◉ Trails Pro Features
• GPX file import via AirDrop, email attachment, weblink, or file provider extension (e.g., iCloud Drive or Dropbox)
• Offline topographic maps in various styles (powered by the OpenStreetMap community)
• Routing: Follow a track or a set of waypoints
• Unlimited recordings: Record as many tracks as your device can store
• Alerts: Audible alerts remind you in configurable intervals and read out one or more statistics
You can try out all other features and keep up to five tracks without Trails Pro. Record more tracks by deleting older recordings.
Trails Pro is available as a 3, 6, or 12 month subscription via in-app purchase. The subscription is non-recurring: It will end automatically after 3, 6, or 12 months respectively. No automatic re-billing, no hidden fees.
If you have any question about Trails, please don't hesitate to ask us! (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Trails supports recording your location in the background. Please understand that continued use of location services can decrease battery life.
- Minor bugfixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Maybe I'm just slow, but...
Ok, this app follows your track wonderfully, and also has a great feature of automatically ending when you reach your starting point (I can't tell you how many times my run made great time on Runkeeper when I also included my drive home in the car after finishing).
But, there's something a little weird about the tracks. I do the same run a couple times a week. If I call this a new track each time, I have to resave it and rename it from scratch each time, which is annoying. When I noticed you could download tracks, I realized the "tracks" are probably set pathways, meaning that you should be able to save or download one, and then run it repeatedly. Only when I try to do this, there appears to be no way to restart as a new "run" on the track in question. You can call it a new segment, but then times and distances just keep adding up, like one long run. It really should be organized with persistent tracks, which can be done repeatedly as individual runs. Maybe I'm just missing it...
Good, long overdue update; new bug; still a missing feature
After a multi-year delay (unconscionable for a subscription-based app), the 4.07 update released in just the last 2 days fixed a bunch of misc issues. Response is *much* snappier. Even with my 400+ tracks, bringing up the list of all of them is almost instantaneous instead of a multi-second slog. And starting a new track is also much faster and no longer seems to lead sometimes to a completely black app screen. So overall, a great update.
But it introduced a new bug. The Trails widget on the Today View now tries to handle dark mode (which I use), but Trails' black text is not readable in that mode.
And Trails still lacks the important ability to do a bulk upload of all tracks as individual GPX files. Uploading them one at a time via the app's web UI is excruciatingly slow, and any tracks with certain special characters have to be renamed manually. An iOS update sometime in the last year or so enhanced the Health app to include GPX files that apps like Trails supply to it, but only a fraction of them arrive, and Trails' track names aren't included in the uploaded filenames. So the Health app's upload feature isn't a sufficient workaround for not having a bulk upload feature in Trails.
Before this update, I was actively looking for a replacement for Trails, which appeared to be an abandoned, subscription app. With this update, it's back to 4 stars for me. Bulk track upload would make it 5 stars.
Still my favorite
First update in 2 years. Added support for newer watch faces. Still my favorite app for hiking, biking, and paddling.
- iosphere GmbH
- 91.9 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 9.0 and watchOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Kölsch, Spanish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2020 Trails App Services UG
- In-App Purchases
- Trails Pro for one year $4.99
- Trails Pro for 3 months $1.99
- Trails Pro for 6 months $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.