Tired of boring language learning textbooks? FluentU brings languages to life with real-world interactive videos!
Learn to read and speak Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese, German, Japanese, English, Russian, Korean and Italian with FluentU.
FluentU turns music videos, movie trailers, news and inspiring talks into an amazing language learning experience. Experience an immersive education that teaches you to speak and comprehend new languages in a natural way.
Now you can learn a new language while connecting with the culture. No matter what your skill level or interest, FluentU has you covered.
LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE
- Immerse yourself in a foreign language to understand how it’s used
- Connect with the language through real-world videos
- Quiz yourself on the vocabulary
- Learn to speak the language instead of scripted phrases
- Stay motivated to learn each day
WATCH, LISTEN & LEARN
- Put the textbooks away and learn from experience
- Watch videos with subtitles and translations to learn the language
- Tap on any word or phrase to learn its meaning
- Add words to your vocabulary list for review
- Listen to audio dialogues to gain an understanding of the language
- Look up any word and see how it’s used in a sentence
- Search content by title or grammar and vocabulary points
- Chinese (Mandarin)
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
"Great app. To my knowledge the best on the market. You created something unique and new!"
- Felix Wedel
"It is more helpful than any other tool I've used. I had been using podcasts before and trying to make flashcards, and that worked pretty well. But it ended up that I was spending more time making the flashcards than studying. FluentU really solves this."
- David Brown
"FluentU has quickly become one of my favorite language-learning tools. Great job on an aesthetically pleasing app and an incredibly functional one."
- Justin Price
"This concept in FluentU is amazing. It's such a great way to help you understand a spoken language and the way you break it down is amazing."
- Demi Pradolin
"This app is so fun and useful - the best Chinese language learning app I've ever used."
- Richard Jun
FluentU is available as a monthly ($29.99 for Plus) or yearly subscription ($239.99 for Plus). If you enjoy FluentU, do nothing and your membership will automatically continue for as long as you choose to remain a member. You can easily cancel anytime, online. Just sign up to get started!
If you subscribe via iTunes: Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period and identify the cost of the renewal. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Free trial only with credit card on file
I’m intrigued that videos are offered. I haven’t seen that on other language sites. Unfortunately, you can’t actually use the free trial without giving your credit card for future monthly payments. I’m very interested, but I don’t give out my credit card unless I know I want to use the resource for my kids and I. I would appreciate an opportunity, even if for the day, to peruse the site and try my hand at it before giving my personal and payment information.
(I don’t know what star rating to give since I haven’t been able to interact with the content. I hate for a rating to be brought down when I’m rating the administrative choices in offering the free trial. )
Side note: I have a high school junior studying Russian who has decided to major in Russian in college. A high school freshman who has taken an interest in Italian, and a 4th grader wanting to study Spanish. I wonder, when noting at the start of the app what language you wish to study, are we locked into that language for that email sign-on or if the app is fluid and we can switch between languages?
Developer Response ,
One subscription gives you access to all of our languages. You can switch back and forth easily via the app's Settings. We do require a payment method to sign up, but rest assured we won't charge you if you cancel at least one day before your trial ends.
Just go to your iPhone's Settings and unsubscribe via your subscriptions.
Technically works, but buggy and janky
Don’t expect any UI polish.
- Images pop in and out as you scroll.
- Audio will only sometimes play while the app is in the background.
- Forward/backward controls put the subtitles out of sync with the audio.
- Dragging the week slider has random effects on the player, including jumping you right past the quiz to the next lesson.
- At the end of a video, the final subtitle is replaced with the first subtitle.
- Sometimes videos play twice and I’m not sure it’s on purpose.
- Tapping a word makes the whole screen jump left for no perceivable reason, then it shows the definition after a pause.
- No clear instruction on what to do when a course is up for review… everything just turns orange, but only some orange buttons make it blue again.
- Subtly different interaction than on the web, so switching between the two is confusing. (For example, some videos on the web are audio-only on iOS.)
- Two loading spinners appear on the screen at a time sometimes.
- No loading spinners have cancel buttons.
- Going back one screen often resets your scroll position so you lose your place.
But hey, it hasn’t crashed yet, and it gets the job done.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it! If you encounter any further errors, please report them directly via the app by shaking your device. We'd love to look into them.
Great if used correctly
This app gives you many advantages that others don’t, but it can feel overwhelming to beginners. A few tips:
1) Study the tones first. Train yourself to hear the tones and see if you can type the pinyin on your keyboard based on what you heard. Mimic the tones you hear. This app speaks them very slowly at first so you can hear the tone, then repeats it at a normal pace. DO NOT study with pinyin because you will use it like a crutch and it will really slow down your character recognition pace.
2) Do one playlist per day, don’t go crazy. Language learning isn’t a race, it’s not even a marathon; it’s a lifelong commitment. If you learn even 10 words per day and you learn them very well, then by the end of a year you will at least have basic conversational fluency. Learning 20, 30, 40 words per day will test your memorization ability, but it won’t improve your language skill.
3) Open your mouth! Repeat the words you hear in the exercises. If you’re not doing this, you’re skipping a very important exercise of these lessons. In the “audio” portions of the lessons, let it run and repeat a few times while repeating the words each time. They’re usually less than a minute, so it goes quick. Aim for 7-10 repeats before doing the quiz.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for the kind words and the tips for our users! We're so glad FluentU is working for you. :)
- FluentFlix Limited
- 190.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Japanese, Korean, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © FluentFlix Limited
- In-App Purchases
- FluentU Plus $29.99
- FluentU Plus $239.99
- FluentU Plus $29.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.