Syntorial is a synthesizer training app, that will teach you how to program synth patches by ear. By combining video demonstrations with interactive challenges, you’ll get hands on experience programming patches on a built-in soft synth, and learn everything you need to know to start making your own sounds with ease.
"Syntorial is the most direct route between hearing a sound in your head and knowing how to bring it to life." - Electronic Musician Magazine
"The most comprehensive and fun tool for learning synthesizer programming, hands down." - Keyboard Magazine
“The best training in synth sound-design we’ve come across. A unique and fun way to train your ears in re-creating synth sounds.” - MusicTech Magazine
* Electronic Musician Editor's Choice 2014 *
• Interactive Learning: Syntorial doesn’t just show you how synth programming works. It engages you in Interactive Challenges in which you program patches on a built-in synth. You aren’t just learning how to design sound, you are becoming a sound designer.
• For Musicians, Not Physicists: Instead of talking about the science and physics behind synthesizers, Syntorial will show you how each control effects sound, as well as when, why and how you would use them when designing sounds. This is information that you can immediately apply to real-life situations.
• It's All About The Ear: One step at a time, Syntorial trains your ear to recognize how each control shapes and manipulates sound. By the end of the program you’ll be able to take the sounds you hear and re-create them, completely by ear.
• Challenges: Learn by doing! Complete challenges by programming patches with Syntorial’s built-in synth.
• Videos: Everything is taught through video demonstrations using the same synth that you’ll use in the challenges.
• Patches: Program, program, program. After all, that’s what it’s all about, right? By the end you will have programmed tons of patches, from simple to complex, familiar to strange.
• Quizzes: Multiple choice questions to help you retain and remember everything you learn.
• On Your Own: Syntorial will give you periodic tasks to be carried out on your own with whatever synth(s) you use.
• Subtractive synthesis
• Three Oscillators (Two with Waveform, Pitch, Pulse Width, and Mix controls, and a Sub oscillator with Waveform and Volume controls)
• Saw, Pulse, Triangle and Sine waveforms
• FM knob
• Noise Oscillator
• Oscillator Sync
• Filter (Low, Band and High Pass) with Resonance and Key Tracking
• ADSR Filter Envelope
• ADSR Amp Envelope
• AD Modulation Envelope
• LFO with four waveforms, seven destinations, rate, amount, trigger, and mono/poly modes
• Mono and Poly Voice Modes
• Unison with Voice, Detune and Spread controls
• Ring Modulation
• Distortion, Chorus, Phaser, Delay, and Reverb effects
• Mod Wheel, Pitch Wheel and Velocity controls
FREE VS UPGRADE
The free app comes with the first 22 Lessons, additional Lesson Pack samples, as well as Syntorial's fully featured synth. Upgrade to get:
• All 199 Lessons, including 129 Challenges, 147 Videos, and 706 Patches covering the most common synthesis parameters.
• Additional Lesson Packs covering Massive, Sylenth1, Cakewalk Z3TA+ 2 and Minimoog Voyager, each containing 30+ videos. More Lesson Packs planned for the future.
• Pay once and get access to all of the above on iPad, Mac and PC. Sync your progress across all 3 platforms. Train where you want, when you want, and how you want.
• Plugin version of Syntorial's synth, Primer. Program, record and play Primer in your favorite desktop recording software. VST (Mac/PC) and AU (Mac).
Syntorial: A New Way To Learn Synthesis
Bug fix: Freeze/Crash on the iPad Mini 6
Ratings and Reviews
I’m a complete beginner to synth, and have been interested for a very long time to learn. Syntorial has made this possible! When learning it goes such a long way to actually be able to work through the steps and apply it yourself, which is exactly what this is. The way this enables you to learn different areas and focus solely on that at one time (while also showing you how well you’re doing) is so incredibly helpful to really grasping all the different areas of sound. Just amazing. I’m only about 20% percent through the lessons, and have already learned so much to apply to playing synth and creating patches. I’ve gained such a valuable foundation, and with 150+ more lessons to go. Absolutely well worth the money. Thank you SO much for creating Syntorial!!
What a digital tutorial should be
Syntorial is the best computer based learning tutorial I have ever used, bar none. Being a 60 year old programmer, that’s saying something!
It takes you through a synthesizer (included) control by control, training your ears to recognize what each sound wave modification sounds like, by using a gradually expanding set of tools to match a sound you hear. This both trains your ear (to recreate sounds you hear), while it increases your ability to create sounds by knowing what each part of a typical synth does.
Yeah, it’s $130, but it beats paying more for various other ways to learn synthesis and not getting the same results (knowledge), only to try another one.
If you want to learn synth sound design from the bottom up with all knobs and functions, recognize and recreate the coolest sounds, this is the app for you.
I tried different books and watched I don't know how many instructional videos, but never got much further than what already figured out on my own. Sometimes, I even got more confused with the over theoretical explanations that did not help me sound better.
This app is the real deal because it is a series of progressive exercises dealing with all options generally available on old analog, digital and computer synthesizers.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Audible Genius, LLC
- 215.4 MB
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Audible Genius, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Upgrade To Full Version $129.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.