Palettes is a powerful productivity tool for creating and maintaining color palettes. Great for creating color schemes. Now you can create a color palette anywhere at anytime. Grab colors from a photograph, a website, or add colors using any one of 5 color models. Quickly find matching colors with support for many different color schemes. You may create and store any number of palettes.
This application runs at one of three levels: Free, Basic, and Pro. The initial free version runs at the Pro level for a limited time allowing you to fully test the application. It will then revert back to the Free level. Use the included in-application purchasing to upgrade to either the Basic or Pro level at any time.
Key features include:
• Single universal application works on all your iOS devices including iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
• Quickly create a color palette from a web site, image, camera, or color scheme.
• Unlimited number of palettes (Free only supports 3).
• 25 colors per palette (Free and Basic allows 5).
• Undo/Redo support.
• Import/Export palettes from/to Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Fireworks, GIMP, Paintshop Pro, Procreate, and OS X Color Chooser. (Pro)
• Import/Export palettes via email. Team development made easy with one click import. (Pro)
• Backup and restore your Palettes data directly to/from your own computer, iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, or FTP servers. (Basic, Pro)
• Import and export palette files directly to/from your own computer, iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, FTP servers, or another app. (Pro)
• Email color palettes to friends and co-workers. (Pro adds more options)
• Pick colors from:
• RGB, HSV (HSB), HSL, CMYK, or Gray scale sliders
• Standard colors lists (SVG, Web Safe, HTML, Java, Apple) or other palettes.
• A website URL (webpage, image, CSS file, 3rd party palette file (Pro)).
• An image or camera.
• Any valid CSS3 color representation.
• Create colors via:
• Color blending (Pro adds using 1 of 4 color models).
• Color schemes (monochromatic (Pro), analogous, triadic, complementary (Pro), split complementary (Pro)).
• Review color information:
• Details (integer, hex, percent, decimal, CSS).
• As both a foreground and background color.
• "Palette Flow" (not on iPad)
• Display a color full screen to compare against a real world item (press and hold color briefly).
• Palette preview screen.
• Backup a palette as an image in your photo library for later restore.
• Rename, reorder, or delete palettes.
• Sort palette colors by RGB, HSV/B, HSL, CMYK, or Gray color model.
• All work is saved as you go.
• Always remembers where you left off last.
• Built in context sensitive help system.
• Preferences can be set from within the application. (Basic, Pro)
• Excellent customer support.
Palettes can be used to create color palettes for:
• Web site design
• Marketing campaigns
• Home decorating
• Color coordinating
• Anywhere colors are needed - just use your imagination
Please visit http://www.maddysoft.com/iphone/palettes to see a more complete set of screen shots and additional information on the features of "Palettes". The website includes contact information for leaving feedback, asking questions, or reporting any issues.
NOTE: Known limitation - this version is unable to import binary OS X palette files (.clr) from ~/Library/Colors.
NOTE: Screenshots are after upgrading to the Pro level.
Support for the new iPhone X models.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Please provide an option within the settings that allows users to select a white background.
Where has this been all my life?
If there’s anything this app can’t do, I’ve not found it. Colors in, colors out, with any combos you demand...and I demand a lot. For example, easily took a palette from Pro rebate, yanked it in here, took it out to another app, and to Photoshop (different file formats, but did them both in the same step). I’ve seen zillions of color palette applications since the birth of Mac and Windows. This is the best. If you don’t like it, YOU have a problem.
As a nice extra, I had a usage issue and emailed the developer. He got back to me in an hour or so. On a Sunday. This review supersedes my previous review and rating, appended below.
For quality, the Pro version deserves five big stars. But see my title. I bought Pro on my iPad Air. Just opened on my iPad Pro. If there’s a way to do Restore Purchase it’s well hidden.
If there is a way, or Developer adds a way, this goes up to a rave Five Stars.
black background ruins this
Although this has some nice features, there's a very serious fundamental flaw: The black background skews colors. Here's why: Against black, all other colors look lighter than they would out in the real world. So you think you've got colors that are light enough, but when you get them out there against normal backgrounds, turns out they're darker than you thought. It's a fundamental flaw. The option to put a needle-thin white line around the color lineup doesn't make a difference.
Also, picking RGB colors is arduous. I can think of two other ways to do this that would be far easier.
- Richard Maddy
- 19.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2008-2018 Rick Maddy
- In-App Purchases
- Upgrade Palettes Free to Palettes Basic $1.99
- Upgrade Palettes Free to Palettes Pro $3.99
- Upgrade Palettes Basic to Palettes Pro $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.