Please send us your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have found that Simplex Spelling has helped your student/child, please take the time to leave a review.
Simplex Spelling Light improves spelling and reading skills in a fun and interactive way using a unique “reverse phonics” approach in combination with contextually relevant spelling rules. It has the same critically acclaimed design and features as the full version of Simplex Spelling HD but comes with its own new high frequency word spelling lists.
This Light version has been made available, so that customers can evaluate the Simplex Spelling software to decide if they want to purchase the full version of Simplex Spelling HD.
Simplex Spelling Light contains over 50 new high frequency English words that do not appear in the full version of Simplex Spelling HD so the two products compliment each other beautifully. It also contains all of the great learning features of the full version of Simplex Spelling HD.
In contrast with many of the current approaches that use flash cards, Simplex Spelling enables the student to build each word. Students gain skills above and beyond the sheer memorization of words, as the informative spelling rule hint feature explains why words are spelled in a particular manner.
Simplex Spelling's unique, immediate letter by letter feedback system is designed with clues and hints that will enable every student to spell each word successfully.
Simplex Spelling enhances understanding in a variety of students as it appeals to audio, visual and tactile learners. It is great tool to have for kids learning to spell, remedial students, or those learning English as a second language.
- "Top Rated" - Balefire Labs.
Recommended for ages 5+.
Note: You can not create your own spelling lists in Simplex Spelling Light.
- Over 50 high frequency spelling words to help build literacy.
- Spelling words are spoken and used in a sentence to establish context.
- The introduction spelling list seamlessly leads a student through all of the application’s features by providing spoken information while having the student spell new words.
- A powerful phonics hint feature sounds out each word and provides a list of possible phonograms for each sound.
- Features a full “reverse phonics” approach that includes sounds made by all the different letter combinations. This is in addition to the basic “single letter” phonics that most applications are limited to.
- Contextually relevant spelling rule hints that help explain “how to spell” English words.
- Unique letter by letter feedback system that provides feedback while the student is in the process of spelling each word.
- Guaranteed success on every word.
- Support for 40 user accounts.
- User stats screen that allows you to see at a glance words that have been mastered and words that require further practice.
- Ability to export & email student reports.
- Remembers each user’s position in every list, so that you can immediately resume from where you last left off.
- Supports both upper and lower case letters.
- Supports both alphabetic and QWERTY keyboard layouts.
- Supports both US, UK and Canadian English spelling of words.
- An approach that appeals to audio, visual and tactile learners.
KNOW WHAT'S INSIDE
As a MOMs with Apps member, we follow the
"Know what's inside" best practices for kids' apps
We care about your child's privacy.
- Does not contain 3rd party ads.
- Does not share any data.
- Does not track your child's location.
- Does not contain In-App purchases.
- Does not contain links to social media.
- Does not contain push notifications.
- Contains in app links to view a safe enclosed version of the developer's website for additional information, support and teaching tips.
- Contains child protected links that allow you to : "email the developer questions", to rate the app and to view other Pyxwise apps.
Updated for iOS 13.1
Fixed screen layout issues on some newer iPhone models running iOS 13.1.
Ratings and Reviews
Not sure - 2.5 stars
I got this to try out before buying the paid version.
What I like: clean design that isn’t cutesy or organized by grade level so older kids and adults can use it without being embarrassed. The pronunciations are clear. The hints are good. Use is simple and straightforward. This looks better than other options I’ve found so far. No data entry or voice recording is needed to use. No obnoxious sound effects. Really clean, complete looking app.
What I don’t like: there’s no way to see the list of missed words. It seems like if you get the missed words right on review they aren’t missed anymore. (Is there repetition? Do they make progress or is it just right once and done?) it’s too easy for a word to be counted as wrong since accidentally mistyping a letter but catching and correcting it immediately gets counted as wrong. That’s not checking spelling, that’s checking typing accuracy. On a phone where it’s really easy to tap the next letter or type faster than letters are registering? There’s no way to measure or see progress. You get sent straight on to the next level without any kind of evaluation of whether or not you’re done with the previous level and ready to move on. It’s not clear why the words are grouped as they are. It seems like there might be more helpful ways to group words (word families for example). I don’t see any indication of levels of words in the paid versions. Use is monotonous and at least in this version there’s zero variety of “play” or reward or progress to keep the user engaged.
What I’m looking for in a spelling app that I’m not seeing anywhere: the ability to test out of words you already know and work —with repetition— on words you struggle with.
In the end this is closer to what I want that I’m seeing elsewhere. I’m not sold enough to buy the bundle, given that there are so many negatives. I absolutely would with some of these issues fixed though. I’m going to try the first level first and see how it goes.
EDIT: after trying level 1, I find that the app has a lot more of the features I was looking for and the organization by word family. It seems then that the light version was not a good indicator of what the rest of the apps have.
What it has that the light version doesn’t: organization by word family. The ability to test out of levels. A clearer path to mastery and showing progress. Suggestions to review previous levels if you get words wrong.
What I think is still missing:
A quicker version of level review when you’ve been recommended down. If you mostly know that level, it’s super painfully tedious to go through it. Variety in use so that the whole app doesn’t become Instantly monotonous.
Still this is pretty close to what I wanted. I wish the light version had shown that better because now I wasted money on buying one app when I could have bought the bundle.
Needs an option to lock lists until mastered
Would love to be able to lock lists.. My son tries to move on when i am not over his shoulder and so i have to review his lists constantly to see if he skipped. A simple lock until all words mastered option would be a godsend, allowing the child to progress further ONLY when they master all the words.
Shows All the Spelling Combinations for a Given Sound
The words chosen for the sample lists seemed haphazard until I looked at the full version. In the full version, they are organized by spelling pattern, which makes more sense.
My 6 year old enjoys this game. He is homeschooled and we just started working on spelling, after getting him reading well enough to read chapter books. He likes being able to use the hint button, which shows him all the different ways to spell a certain sound. When he gets a word right without any mistakes or using a hint, it is added to his "mastered words" list. Each day, I have him practice the "missed words" from his list, so he spends his time working on words he needs help with, instead of having to redo the easy ones over and over.
I just bought the full version and can't wait for him to use it.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Pyxwise Software Inc.
- 126.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Pyxwise Software Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.