Even better than killer sudoku on paper!
Killer sudoku is a popular variation on classic sudoku puzzles. To complete a puzzle you must fill the board with numbers that obey traditional sudoku rules AND make each outlined region sum to a specific value. The grid begins blank, but these rules give you all the information you need to solve the puzzle!
Solving a killer sudoku puzzle requires a lot of notes, so we worked hard to make the note entry features in this app perfect. A dedicated note keypad and the ability to select multiple squares makes entering notes fast. You can even make combination lists that float above the puzzle and can be rearranged on the screen! Cross out combinations from your lists as you rule them out.
Our interface is so good, you may prefer it to doing puzzles on paper.
- Dual keypads -- no tedious toggling between note and answer mode
- Multi-square note entry -- a huge timesaver
- Handy combination lists -- can be rearranged on the screen for easy comparison
- Quick sum button -- add all selected sum labels instantly
- Quick combination list button -- list all combinations fast by dragging over the desired region
- Built-in mini calculator -- do even long sums easily
- Undo & redo buttons -- step back through your changes to fix a mistake
- Mistake highlighting option -- don't let mistyped entries from set you back
- Auto note option -- automatically remove trivially eliminated notes when you enter an answer
- Two color schemes -- a neutral newspaper color scheme and a rainbow color scheme
- Puzzle gallery -- scroll through puzzles and see your progress instantly
- Comes with 10 free puzzles for testing, and over 3,000 puzzles available for purchase
We made this app free so that you can test it without having to buy anything. It comes with ten free killer sudoku puzzles--two puzzles in each of the five levels. There are also more than three thousand puzzles available to purchase, but the ten free puzzles might just keep you busy for a long time :)
All our killer sudoku puzzles have a unique solution.
- Landscape is back on iPad!
- Bug fix for "Puzzle complete" problem
Thank you to everyone who emailed with bug reports and feedback about the recent update. Your emails help me get things fixed faster! Please let me know if you have any issues with the latest version. Best, Sarah
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Still Enjoying It -- Fantastic Support!
This is an update to my earlier review. In my experience this is he best killer sudoku app for iOS. Is still love it if the app would generate puzzles, but other than that it’s ideal.
The double keyboard and drag-select make entry very quick. I'd like it better if it would generate puzzles. They've added color-coding the groups since my last review, and that helps a lot --thanks!
The support is very good as well. An earlier update broke the "9" button on the iPad. I sent an error report by email, and within a day (over a weekend!) I received a very polite response and the information that the fix for the problem had already been submitted to Apple. This is a top-notch product and I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a good implementation of killer sudoku puzzles. The update was available soon after, and fixed the problem.
I’ve been playing killer sudoku for years and this is by far the best app I’ve seen for it. The only suggestions I have are:
1) to have a setting that allows for multiple uses of a single number in the notes. I realize this could be tricky from a programming standpoint and could make note-taking too complicated.
2) allow for spaces in the notes to separate what you know has to go in a group of cells from what could go there.
3) have a feature where if you hold down the number with no cells selected, it highlights the cells that contain that number as an entry or as a note, so you can quickly see where the sudoku rules force certain entries or elimination of certain notes.
Decent graphically, but needs tweaking
First, of the Killer Sodoku's I've found in the App Store, this one seems to be the best. However, its interface needs work.
I compare this to the ease of the app Sudoku Joy (which unfortunately lacks a 'killer' play style), where instead of two numeric pads, there is one, with a button on the side to switch between pencil and pen. Also, having to select each square and pencil mark repeatedly is tedious; locking in the number you're working with and then tapping on the squares to quickly add or remove marks would be ideal and much, much faster.
The possibilities calculator is a fantastic tool. I don't understand the 'notes' section; further explanation (or even examples) would be ideal. Finally, when hitting for a [HINT], instead of just filling in a box, explaining why, or what we could look for would be best - again, an option Sudoku Joy does SO well, teaching as we go.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Sarah Pierce
- 13.7 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Megafauna software
- In-App Purchases
- Mega puzzle pack $4.99
- Mega puzzle pack 2 $4.99
- Mega puzzle pack 3 $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.