Tutanota enables you to use the benefits of the cloud - availability, flexibility, automatic back-up - without compromising on security. With Tutanota's built-in encryption you own your data, no one else can access it. Tutanota comes with a light & beautiful GUI, dark theme included, with instant push notifications, auto-sync, full-text search, swipe gestures and more.
The open source email app Tutanota enables you to send end-to-end encrypted emails to anybody. Even emails that are being sent without end-to-end encryption and all your contacts are stored securely encrypted on the Tutanota servers.
Our passion for privacy.
Tutanota is being built by a team passionate about everybody's right to privacy. We are supported by an amazing community, which enables us to grow our team continuously making Tutanota a success without depending on venture capital interests.
Tutanota respects you & your data:
- Only you can access your encrypted emails & contacts.
- Tutanota does not track or profile you.
- Open source client & apps.
- Innovative full-text search feature lets you easily search your mailbox.
- TLS with support of PFS, DMARC, DKIM, DNSSEC and DANE.
- Secure password reset that gives us absolutely no access.
- 100% developed and located in Germany under strict Data Protection Laws (GDPR).
Official website: https://tutanota.com
Source code: https://github.com/tutao/tutanota
With the Tutanota app, you can:
- Create your own Tutanota email address (ending in @tutanota.com, @tutanota.de, @tutamail.com, @tuta.io or @keemail.me) with 1 GB of free storage.
- Create custom domain email addresses for €1 per month with the option of catch-all.
- Send and receive end-to-end encrypted emails to anybody.
- Send and receive old-fashioned emails (not end-to-end encrypted). Even these emails are stored encrypted on the Tutanota servers.
- Automatically encrypt subject, content and attachments.
- Get push notifications instantly.
- Auto-complete email addresses as you type from your Tutanota or your phone contacts.
- Auto-sync between app, web client and desktop clients.
- Tutanota is free and open source software (FOSS) so that security experts can check the code.
The Tutanota app asks for very few permissions to keep your level of privacy to a maximum:
- Full network access: Used to send and receive emails.
- Receive data from the internet: To notify you when you receive a new email.
- View network connections: To find out if an internet connection exists.
- Read your contacts: This enables you to select recipients from your phone's contacts.
- Read from SD card: To allow adding of attachments from the SD card to emails.
- Control vibration: To notify you when you receive a new email.
- Deactivate sleeping mode: To notify you when you receive a new email.
This distribution includes cryptographic software. The country in which you currently reside may have restrictions on the import, possession, use, and/or re-export to another country, of encryption software. BEFORE using any encryption software, please check your country's laws, regulations and policies concerning the import, possession, or use, and re-export of encryption software, to see if this is permitted. Seehttp://www.wassenaar.org/ for more information.
The U.S. Government Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), has classified this software as Export Commodity Control Number (ECCN) 5D002.C.1, which includes information security software using or performing cryptographic functions with asymmetric algorithms. The form and manner of this distribution makes it eligible for export under the License Exception ENC Technology Software Unrestricted (TSU) exception (see the BIS Export Administration Regulations, Section 740.13) for both object code and source code.
- Fixed horizontal scrolling for some emails
- Added scaling of large emails
- Zoom into emails with double tab
Ratings and Reviews
Definitely needs improvements
I normally don’t write reviews but i felt that it was time to share my voice on Tutanota. First of all, I do love the fact that it’s a secure email however there are some flaws. First, I’d like to point out that when I get email on Tutanota, the app shows a number 1 on my iPhone regardless if I have 1 email or 20. I would love to see this issue get fixed.
Secondly, when you are on the Tutanota app, if you slide an email to the left, it should allow you to delete it. Sometimes when I slide emails that I no longer want to the left, it “bounces” back and I have to try again until the email deletes. This is rather annoying.
Thirdly, there is no option to “search your email”. For better organizing and storage, it would be truly helpful to search your messages by sender, message phrases, etc, especially when you are paying Tutanota to have an entire gigabyte of email, which to some people is a lot of mail.
Fourthly, in the spam folder, i have to move some emails to the inbox. Tutanota does not give me an option that I have seen to declare them as a “safe email” or “not spam”.
I really like having a secure email and I do like Tutanota. I just know that they could seriously improve their service, get rid of the bugs and add some good features to make things easier on their customers and users. That is why I gave Tutanota 3 stars.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback. #1 is planned for the coming months, #2 thanks for the notice, we'll see how we can improve this! #3 please check again, search is already possible since the last update, #4 you can whitelist addresses/domains: https://tutanota.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/780147-how-can-i-configure-spam-detection-rules-configur
Love it with one exception..
I really love this app BUT there is one thing I absolutely dislike about it - the delete function. You have to swipe, hold and then release for it to delete. I understand this may be a safety measure to ensure you don’t delete anything accidentally but it’s very clunky and unnecessary. I could just as easily go recover it from trash and would rather do so. I have to attempt to delete an email 3-5 times before it actually does, I swipe and hold and it constantly just slides out from under my finger even if I’m trying to hold it in place so that I have to keep trying until it finally deletes. I spend more time trying to delete emails than anything else. I absolutely HATE the delete function. If not for that I’d rate 5 stars for sure.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback, we plan to improve this with a future update.
best encrypted email service
Yeah, yeah--I've experienced some of the little glitches in this (free for "regular" version) email service, but I've no doubt this very impressive company--I read much about Tutanota--will (or probably already had) fixed them.
Most important, I used Protonmail (perhaps Tutanota's best-known encrypted email provider) for quite a while--until I learned that Protonmail received a $2 million investment by a large U.S. company that seeks a "strong *ownership* stake" in the smaller companies it funds.
And as we know, Edward Snowden clued us in about US-owned companies being coerced into providing "backdoors"/intentionally compromising their own encryption measures, to allow government surveillance.
So, not being able to trust Protonmail any longer, I switched to Tutanota, which has never accepted (to my, or it seems anyone else's) knowledge such alarming start-up funding.
I find Tutanota's service exceptional, and I like it's pleasant/modern/~minimalist interface. I even entrust Tutanota with my domain/business email account. It's simply a great, trustworthy encrypted-email company that is responsive to user feedback and support queries.
- Tutao GmbH
- 8.9 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Albanian, Armenian, Bengali, Bosnian, Breton, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Norwegian, Occitan, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tajik, Tamil, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019, Tutao GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.