With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before. Browse your video library, share favourite moments and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organised in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customise movie studio logos, cast names and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs
• Change focus points or the depth effect for video shot in Cinematic mode on iPhone 13 or later (requires macOS Monterey)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import Magic Movie, Storyboard and Movie projects created with iMovie on iPhone or iPad into the timeline
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use colour controls
• Stabilise shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
• Send your project to Final Cut Pro and take advantage of advanced editing tools, professional effects, third-party plug-ins and more
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Export a video optimised for YouTube, Facebook and other popular video destinations
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
System Requirements: macOS 11.5.1 or later, 4GB RAM, 3.5GB of available disk space.
• Import Magic Movie and Storyboard projects from iMovie for iOS and iPadOS
• Includes stability and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
I've used imovie for years now and never had this problem, but from a few months back whenever i imported files that were received via airdrop, the videos on imovie kept going black or started to glitch which was very inconvenient. When i imported my gopro videos they played fine, it's weird to me that the airdrop videos are glitching. Am i the only one with this problem? Other than that imovie is convient and easy to use!
GUTTED by Catalina
I loved imovie in highschool, and edited my final VCA film on it. I have since done film degrees and been taught to use more advanced software, but nothing I've learned to use so far can compare to the intuitive ease and application of Imovie. It even convinced me to abandon windows computers and buy a Macbook. However, when I downloaded the new version of the app onto my brand spanking new laptop, I was devistated to find it had been stipped to bare bones. Not only that, but the new opperating system, Catalina, actually BARRED me from being able to use the older version of the imovie softwear. I understand that apple is trying to make it more beginner friendly, but I PRAY that they will release a version with all the old features. They have taken what was a brilliant entry level industry quality softwear, and turned it into what is essentially windows movie maker (aka editing hell for all you mac users). Please apple, Please hear my prayers! Even if its two seperate programs, Imovie express (for beginners) and Imovie Advanced (with all your amazing old features).
Bring back Catalina compatibility
I have a 2012 Macbook Pro, which means that MacOSX Big Sur is not compatible with my machine; because of this I have not updated my OS, and I am still on Catalina. However, iMovie decided to update itself in the background and this new version is not compatible with Catalina. It refuses to open and prompts me to update to Big Sur...BUT I WON'T BECAUSE MY LAPTOP IS TOO OLD TO HANDLE BIG SUR. I just want to edit simple videos. But it looks like I am locked out of iMovie forever, at least on this computer. And for some reason I cannot install a previous version of iMove that DOES work; I find that the most upsetting of all things, I would not mind if I could still use an older version. The cherry on top is that Apple refuses to provide support for my laptop anymore, so getting help with this issue seems impossible. This is very anti-consumer on Apple's part. Shame on you.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Pty Limited
- 2.6 GB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 11.5.1 or later.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2022 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.