With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before. Browse your video library, share favourite moments and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organised in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customise movie studio logos, cast names and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs (1)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import movies and trailers created using iMovie on iPhone or iPad to finish them on your Mac
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use colour controls
• Stabilise shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
• Send your project to Final Cut Pro and take advantage of advanced editing tools, professional effects, third-party plug-ins and more
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed into iCloud
• Export a video optimised for YouTube, Facebook and other popular video destinations
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
(1) 4K export requires a Mac from 2011 or later with at least 4GB RAM. Full-resolution 4K playback is supported on iMac with Retina display and Mac Pro (2013 or later) when connected to a 4K display.
• Fixes the following issues that could occur when importing projects from iMovie for iOS:
• Fonts may change when using the Slide and Chromatic title styles
• Longer titles may shift from one line to two lines
• Filters may be removed from clips
• Some projects may fail to import
• Fixes an issue in which changing an event name in the All Events view may cause that same name to be incorrectly displayed for a different event
• Includes stability and reliability improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Crashing when opens
I’ve been using iMovie for a long time now and have had no problem with it up until today when it keeps crashing every time I try to open it. I’m reinstalling it to see if it will help but it’s rather disappointing as otherwise iMovie has been a create editing software for my videos.
GUTTED by Catalina
I loved imovie in highschool, and edited my final VCA film on it. I have since done film degrees and been taught to use more advanced software, but nothing I've learned to use so far can compare to the intuitive ease and application of Imovie. It even convinced me to abandon windows computers and buy a Macbook. However, when I downloaded the new version of the app onto my brand spanking new laptop, I was devistated to find it had been stipped to bare bones. Not only that, but the new opperating system, Catalina, actually BARRED me from being able to use the older version of the imovie softwear. I understand that apple is trying to make it more beginner friendly, but I PRAY that they will release a version with all the old features. They have taken what was a brilliant entry level industry quality softwear, and turned it into what is essentially windows movie maker (aka editing hell for all you mac users). Please apple, Please hear my prayers! Even if its two seperate programs, Imovie express (for beginners) and Imovie Advanced (with all your amazing old features).
This app is so good! It was hard for me at first but I got the hang of it. it’s not the best editor but it’s VERY good for it’s free price! I would totaly recomend this app to everyone. At first it would crash for me a few times, but one you use it more it won’t crash.
Sometimes it can take a while to load while starting up. That may just be my computer though.
I think this is amazing. I love editing with iMovie because it’s so easy and looks so effective!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Pty Limited
- 2.2 GB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 10.15.6 or later.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2021 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.