Plex magically organizes your media libraries and streams them to any device – including all your video, music, and photo libraries. With a Plex Pass, supported tuner, and digital antenna, you can also watch and record FREE over-the-air broadcast TV, including major networks. You can also enjoy podcasts Plus Plex News – the most balanced and comprehensive personalized video newsfeed out there. Try Plex FREE!
• Magically organize all your personal media – photos, music, movies, shows, even DVR-ed TV – and stream it to any device in a beautiful, simple interface, and Plex adds rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information
• Enjoy music streaming from TIDAL, including 59 million high-quality tracks and 250,000 music videos; augment your existing library or just listen to TIDAL—right in Plex
• Podcasts are here! Search for your favorites or discover new ones through personalized recommendations. Plus: 30 second skip, variable speed playback, rich discovery, and full Plex-style support for cross-device playback status (including On Deck, so you can pick back up where you left off on any device)
• Get personalized and trusted video news from over 190 global publisher partners (and growing!), including CBS, Financial Times, Euronews, and top local news sources for over 80% of markets in the US
• Cut the cord! Go premium with a Plex Pass and use Plex Live TV & DVR so you can watch and record free over-the-air HD TV, like NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX, with any supported digital antenna and tuner
• Enjoy free features, like remote access, sharing, security, and casting, see your media beautifully enhanced with rich descriptions, artwork, ratings, and more
• Enjoy premium features with a Plex Pass subscription: DVR & Live TV, Camera Upload, Premium Photos, Mobile Sync, Parental Controls, VIP Perks, and much more
NOTE: Playing media from your Plex library on mobile devices is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked. For full functionality, get a Plex Pass -OR- make a small, one-time, in-app purchase for app access. Streaming personal media requires Plex Media Server version 1.3 or higher installed and running to stream to other devices. DRM-protected content, ISO disc images, and video_ts folders not supported.
- Changing volume when casting to Chromecast may crash the app.
Ratings and Reviews
Long time happy user, nothing compares to the simplicity and power
I’ve been a plexpass member since it went live and was using the beta version for years before. I’ve got my family and friends all setup with their own Plex instances and access seamlessly to my library. All my media in one place, available instantly on every Apple TV in the house, every ones iPads and iPhones, in the car when on the road and remotely connected when staying with friends. Every new release unlocks a trove of new functionality, and bugs are fixed very quickly with a great and large user support base. Plex team is A1. Miss my emails from Barkley though
Plex is not worth your money
I’ve been a plex pass member for about 2 years and I have the plex lifetime subscription. Plex used to be quite a good solution for managing personal media but it has only gotten worse and worse over time. Issues I frequently encounter are: clients not being able to connect to the server, EXTREMELY slow loading times for things like displaying a single photo (I’m talking minutes), videos downloaded to devices not playing properly, camera upload failing to upload new photos, app becoming unresponsive after pausing playback and generally a laggy UI all around. The server I’m running plex on is very powerful (it has a Xeon E5 CPU) and my network is capable of gigabit speeds so there are no bottlenecks here that are affecting performance. My advice to anyone thinking of paying for plex - save your money, it’s really not worth it. There are simply far too many issues to justify it and it seems like many of these issues will never be fixed because I’ve been experiencing some of them for years.
It mostly ok. Needs better Chromecast and subtitle support
Use extensively for casting media from a local Plex Media Server to a Google Chromecast. Ironically that seems to the Plex app’s weak spot. It you pause a show and come back after some time, Plex can’t or won’t communicate with the Chromecast, even though it will either display on the TV the show or the Plex “ready to cast” screen. I have to close the playing show and then (optionally browse to the show) hit play on the episode from the season list. I’ve also notice sometimes it can’t find the Chromecast, yet it shows up on other iOS devices. Sometimes it will claim to be casting, but the chrome cast doesn’t receive/process requests from the Plex app
Why can’t I use the Plex app to fetch a new subtitle file. Say from OpenSubtitles or similar? Have a look at Infuse app and see how useful it is.
- Plex Inc.
- 227.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Apple TV.
English, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2018 Plex, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- iOS App Activation (enable streaming playback on iOS devices) $7.99
- Monthly Plex Pass $7.99
- Yearly Plex Pass $60.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.