Get straight to the stories that matter with the Herald app. Top Stories and push notifications keep you up to date with breaking headlines. My News lets you customise your feed, showing the topics you're interested in, in the order you want them.
The app is free to download. You can unlock unlimited access to all content with a Starter Digital subscription through the App Store. To unlock premium features such as Today's Paper and puzzles including Daily Crosswords and Daily Sudoku, you can subscribe to Premium Digital via in-app purchase.
Additional information about Apple subscriptions:
- Purchase of an auto-renewable, monthly subscription is required to access content on The Sydney Morning Herald app
- Starter Digital subscriptions are available for AU$14.99 per month (or local currency equivalent)
- Premium Digital subscriptions are available for AU$24.99 per month (or local currency equivalent)
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your iTunes App Store Account Settings after purchase
- Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
- Terms and conditions: https://www.smh.com.au/digital-subscription-terms
We’re continuously making updates to enhance your Herald app experience.
In this release we’ve improved the layout of crosswords for iPad. Across and down clues can be viewed independently, the keyboard is bigger and more responsive and we've made the grid easier to read.
Another level has been added to our daily sudoku - Gentle - for those who would like an easier challenge.
Ratings and Reviews
Keep it going. Keep it growing.
You guys are doing a fantastic job. I would suggest you cover humanitarian crisis more, both local and abroad. We’re living in a growingly disunited and unequal world. Conditions that lead to war and with it drown out the voice of the oppressed. Be the media that seeks to be the voice of the voiceless Keep pursuing the truth. Don’t bring news for news sake. Use your independence to toil for the ugly, impalatable and unpopular truth most cower away from. Opinion piece your hearts out bringing the agents of injustice to account. I see great work here. I see great potential too. Keep it going. Keep it growing.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your support, Adoneus.
Inferior to the last app
The new app is Inferior in format and ease of reading.
Even the first page showing the Harbour Bridge is dull & sad.. The second page isn’t inviting t repeats stories from previous days & the top stories contain rubbish. Headlines should be included in top stories, but not opinion pieces.
The ‘my stories ‘ section is superfluous to my needs & is a bit like Facebook instead of fulfilling the role of passing on important information
The browse is boring in appearance & cluttered.
The opinions section has too many subsections some dating back from days before.
I don’t wear glasses but the light print ( grey) is difficult to read.
I do like that you can look at the print version but to actually read anything in it is not easy.
I’ve gotten used to the differences in the sudukos & crossword but I can’t find the format of the Good weekend quiz I once enjoyed.
The TV guide isn’t as friendly being highly coloured, difficult to read & has channel 9 at the top which no discerning SMH reader would watch.
Technologically clever perhaps but dead to common sense, creativity in layout & simplicity.
The worst thing is that I had favourite articles saved which are gone now. I haven’t discovered if you can save articles now.
I liked how in the old version the stories & sections just came up, you didn’t consciously think of a section you liked or didn’t. You just read the paper.
This app cheapens the SMH. Revert back I say.
It’s hard to escape the conclusion that this new app was developed without any user acceptance testing. Most of the features that currently make the "old" app so usable have been left behind in a rush to create something different - not better, just different. A case in point is the herding of all news into "Sections" - previously, I could just quickly browse headlines and decide what interested me; now, for example, I have to guess whether there might be anything useful under the “Sydney" or “NSW" or “Politics” headings today (how would I know, unless I laboriously trawl through each of those?!?). This, I suspect, is what happens when you let your I.T. department design your new-and-improved product - THEY like it, so too bad about the end-user . The old adage “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it" applies here ..... Sadly, after years of being a subscriber, the advent of the new app will force me to seek an alternative source come 1st January.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Fairfax Media Management Pty Ltd.
- 123.9 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires a Mac with Apple M1 chip and macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © Fairfax Digital Australia & New Zealand Pty Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Starter Digital $14.99
- Premium Digital $24.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.