Byword makes writing easier on your iPhone and iPad.
# Key features of Byword
- Designed to make writing with Markdown easier
- Sync text documents across all your Mac, iPhone, iPad devices
- Take all documents offline to access them anytime
- Filter documents by searching all text (Find & Replace inside documents coming soon)
- Alternate dark theme for extra comfort in low-light situations
- The most complete Markdown support including footnotes, tables and cross-references
- Export Markdown documents to PDF and HTML documents
- Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote
# Optimized for iOS 13
- Dark mode support to match iOS preference;
- Search documents directly from iOS Spotlight;
- Multitasking and split screen on iPad;
- Shortcuts to create new document and access most recent documents right from application icon.
# Blog publishing
Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote from Byword. Publishing your story with Byword is as simple as:
1. Write in Byword
2. Open Tools and select Publish
3. Confirm metadata
# More features
- List continuations
- TextExpander snippet expansion
- Word and character counters with live update
- Extensive VoiceOver support for visual impaired users
- Spell and Grammar checking and Dictionary lookup
- Keyboard shortcuts for formatting and navigating between screens
Here are some ways to use Byword in your life:
- For posting to your blog without using clunky web interfaces and risking losing your work
- For research, meeting and class notes
- To write that important email without being distracted
- To capture ideas and notes and have them available in all devices
# Rich text warning
Byword for iOS only works with plain text formats. Supported file extensions are: txt, text, md, mmd, rmd, markdown, markdn, mdown, mkdn, markd and fountain.
We are proud to provide a super friendly customer support. If you need help and/or have suggestions, please contact us using the mediums below.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Fits between a Note Editor and a full blown Word Processor
Very nice clean interface, sufficient Markdown support for my needs, and a Mac version available too. I synch my files using iCloud which seems to work without a problem. Never tried it with Dropbox so can’t comment.
Dropbox sync loses changes if items are moved or renamed on another device
I’ve been using Byword on iOS for some time to edit text files which I sync with other devices over Dropbox.
Everything works fine as long as you don’t move or rename your files or folders. If you do, it silently stops syncing without notifying you. By the time you realize, there are lots of un-synced changes - and there’s no way to list them, so you don’t know what data hasn’t synced. This means your changes are effectively lost.
I contacted the developer about Dropbox sync issues and they didn’t bother to reply. Therefore I’ll need to look for another app which supports Dropbox text file editing and works.
Not a bad app, but Dropbox syncing is hopeless
I like this app -- it's one of the few that gets it about right for note-taking and writing in iOS. The interface is clean and uncluttered and not over-designed. A lot of other apps have an over-the-top aesthetic.
It suffers from very slow and inconsistent syncing with Dropbox, both over WiFi and cellular. It often just fails to find files at all, leaving me with an incomplete list of files to work on. Other times, it falls out of sync and creates a conflicted version of a file.
A real shame, because this could be my ideal app if only it got that basic function right.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.