Ever wanted to read your favourite chess books and be able to instantly play over the moves on screen? The revolutionary new Chess Studio, from renowned chess publishers Gambit, enables you to do that, and more. After downloading the free app, purchase your choice of classic chess e-books from the Gambit library and begin.
• text laid out in usual clear Gambit style
• play over moves and variations on screen
• accompanying text scrolls automatically
• tap any chess move and the position appears on the board
• easily navigate through complex variations
• search function for words, phrases, player names
• move swiftly between games and chapters
• choice of layout options - including flip board
• free sample text available to try out the app
Chess Studio represents an enjoyable and portable new way of reading chess books, designed by chess players for chess players. Overseeing every aspect of the app design was Grandmaster John Nunn, one of the best-respected figures in the chess world and three-times World Chess Solving Champion.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Here are the main new features, although there are too many minor improvements to list:
1. The app now works in portrait mode as well as landscape.
2. The live board can be resized and made considerably larger than in Chess Studio 1, especially in portrait mode.
3. There’s an analysis engine.
4. You can enter your own moves on the live board. This enables to try out your own moves, an especially useful feature when used with the engine.
5. You can create named bookmarks for each book, so that you can easily return to specific points in the book. The bookmarks are stored and will be available the next time you open the book.
6. The live board screen colours can be customised according to taste.
7. Scrolling speed and text display have been improved.
Ratings and Reviews
Shaping up to be the best chess book app
The newest version is quick and responsive, polished. Books available are generally of great quality (Gambit has always been a strong publisher), but the selection is still rather limited. I would appreciate a black repertoire book on offer to complement Watson's excellent white repertoire. As books are added, this will surely become my most used chess app.
This is a great way to read chess books! You understand far more by seeing the chessboard position change each move anyway. Until now this has usually required more cumbersome methods.
I think the pattern recognition gained is a greatly underestimated way of learning chess. Go Gambit!
This app is a significant improvement on the style of chess reader offered by Chessbase and Everyman. Now that iOS7 has come out the skeuomorphic design is already looking a bit quaint, but the way the app works is very clever and useful. I look forward to more Gambit publications being made available in this format.
One feature that the app lacks that is really needed is a bookmark function. It's going to take you weeks to work your way through something like Nunn's Chess Endings, and it's easy to forget exactly which position you'd reached after a gruelling session trying to absorb this difficult material.
Update: Version 1.0.1 fixes the preceding bookmark problem! Now when you reopen the app you go straight back to the point in the text you last were. This is just what I wanted!
Update 2: And now that the bookshelves and fake woodgrain have gone, all my problems with the app have disappeared. I've purchased several titles, which have all been of high quality.
The developer, Gambit Publications, indicated that the app’s privacy practices may include handling of data as described below.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Gambit Publications Ltd
- 15.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Gambit Publications
- In-App Purchases
- Gambit Free Samples £0.00
- Understanding Chess Move by Move £11.99
- Understanding Chess Endgames £11.99
- Fundamental Chess Openings £12.99
- Understanding Chess Middlegames £11.99
- Chess for Life £10.99
- A Strategic Chess Opening Repertoire for White £12.99
- Understanding the Sicilian £10.99
- Win with the London System £9.99
- John Nunn's Chess Course £12.99