Download the number one free dictionary app with English language learning tools built for every level of learner.
With more than 2 million trusted definitions and synonyms, the Dictionary.com English dictionary and thesaurus app for iPhone is optimized with your mobile device in mind to help you learn English or improve your English vocabulary. It even works offline!
Install the offline dictionary for access to definitions and synonyms whenever and wherever you need them — no bulky books necessary.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this education app includes:
- Word Puzzle – Can you score a perfect 10? Unscramble the letters, and find the words!
- Word of the Day – Learn a new word each day and expand your vocabulary education
- Synonyms — Get thesaurus content alongside your dictionary definitions
- Audio pronunciations – Never mispronounce another word
- Voice search – Find the definitions you’re looking for anywhere, anytime
- Wordplay — Improve your vocabulary with fun quizzes
- Grammar help - Get grammar tips, word usage, and more
- Favorite words and search history - Customize your recently searched word list, and never forget the newest words you’ve learned
- English spelling help - Not sure how a word is spelled? This app will find it for you.
- Learner’s dictionary - Includes extra information about word usage for English learners
- Optimized for Apple Watch!
Get even more from your app with our Upgrades:
- Example Sentences
- Idioms and Phrases
- Medical, Science, Rhyming Dictionaries
- Offline Dictionary + Remove ads
Or you can get all of this additional content and remove ads for one low price with our Pro App.
We have a gift just for you: a dazzling update!
Take a look and see, no bugs in sight!
Instead, you can revel in the ability to create the perfect favorite words list, and even scroll through your recent searches to find words to add.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Forced paid upgrade every time I change phone
In the 6-7 years (or possibly longer) I have been using this app, I have changed my phone three times. Each time I have had to buy the premium upgrade on the new handset. Is this fair? There’s no login system to restore your subscription on the new handsets. Although it’s a small amount but I am annoyed I have had to buy the premium service each time. It restores my favourite words but somehow my paid features like example sentences and learner’s suggestions mysteriously disappear. Can the developer fix it please? I refuse to pay a third time.
Developer Response ,
Hello! When you go to the App/Play store on your phone and do a search for 'dictionary premium", it should detect that you purchased it previously if you signed into the same App/Play Store account with which you first purchased the app. From there, click to install it on your new phone.
We hope this helps!
Favourite words update please?
Great dictionary but I remember in an earlier version you could swipe through your favourite words one after the other rather then clicking on it and reading it, then having to go back and click on favourite words again and scroll through all your words to look at the next word. I preferred the old style as I could scroll through favourites and learn them better ... it’s quite irritating have to exit and scroll through Alphabetical to your next word. Could we have an update to change this please?
I have the full paid version. It’s good, but could have more features like...
I bought the full package of this app. One thing that’ll make my experience better is the feature of swiping right from the phones edge to return to the previous word or page!
I’m trying to learn new words and this could really help speed things up!
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 32.9 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Dictionary.com, LLC 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Example Sentences £2.99
- Encyclopedia £2.99
- Grammar & Tips £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.