Editorial is a plain text editor for iOS with powerful automation tools and a beautiful inline preview for Markdown, TaskPaper, and Fountain documents.
* Inline Markdown/Fountain Preview – With Editorial's subtle syntax highlighting, you can see your document's formatting immediately while you're writing. And when you need a full HTML preview, it's just a swipe away.
* Extensible with Workflows and Scripts – Select from over 50 text processing actions to create your own workflows for extending Editorial's feature set. For even more advanced automation, you can write Python scripts with an integrated code and UI editor.
* Dropbox Sync – The sync folder is customizable, so you can easily edit your documents with multiple apps.
* Smart Keyboard – The extended keyboard was specifically designed for writing Markdown and includes all the special characters you need. You can also control the cursor with simple swipe gestures.
* Snippets – Quickly insert frequently-used pieces of text by typing abbreviations. Snippets can include dynamic text, e.g. the current date or clipboard contents. TextExpander™ snippets are also supported.
* In-App Browser – If you need to do some quick research while writing, you don't have to leave the app for that. You can even open multiple tabs.
* "Folding" allows you to quickly hide individual sections of your document while you're writing.
*** *** ***
“It would be hard to imagine a better editor, let alone recommend one that actually exists.” — The Verge
“This is it. Editorial sets a new standard for third-party iOS automation, and, for me, there’s no going back.” — Federico Viticci, MacStories
“Editorial just reinvented iOS text editing.” — Merlin Mann
Bugfixes for Dropbox sync and workflows with custom UI.
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent for TaskPaper
Seems to be by far the best iOS app for TaskPaper out there. Takes a small amount of set-up to make it do all the things a TaskPaper App should do - but it then does so brilliantly. Plus it does a lot more things as a text editor etc if desired.
Great app, but could really do with an update for iPhone X if possible!
I tried so many Markdown editors that I lost count. Some have a cool interface but have limited DropBox integration. Others have a terrible user interface or they use convoluted file management.
Every single time, I end up returning to Editorial. It is simple, the DropBox integration works perfectly and the customisable preview is perfect.
Compared to other editors there are a few things Editorial could do better but frankly, considering how other apps work, they are more suggestions than limitations:
- an optional, project-oriented approach to the files would be great. It would be very useful for large documents where every chapter is a file. The user interface should be able to order the files manually and produce an export based on all the files in the project.
- The export is limited to html and to PDF via a script. Ideally it should also export in ePub, DOCX and PDF natively with multiple stylesheets.
- I would like to see more configuration options in the editor: more fonts and the configuration of foreground and background colours.
As I said, these would be great but for what Editorial has been designed for, they are more icing on the cake than problems or limitations.
I recommend Editorial to anybody who needs a good Markdown editor with flawless DropBox integration and excellent preview configuration.
Had high hopes for Editorial, however, text flys off top of screen when typing, so you can no longer see it to write, turning ipad vertically helps but still difficult, difficulty in naming and saving documents, markdown edits not refreshing nor showing correct preview. It’s hard work to achieve very little. I was going to purchase Pythonista too but not bothering now.
Looks like this project has issues with iOS 12 and not been sufficiently updated, another purchase for the bin. Why can’t the App Store do trials and we would all save some time and money.
- Ole Zorn
- 280.5 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2015 omz:software
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.