Sight reading skills will give you access to written music and get you familiar with any style of music. Sight reading is not difficult and with enough practice everybody can develop it.
This app helps you to instantly find the notes on every part of the fretboard with a special focus on position playing.
With improved sight reading skills you will find it easier to concentrate on other aspects of music such as harmony, rhythm etc.
PRACTICE & TEST MODE
- 4 different modes of use:
1. Locate note on fretboard based on note in staff.
2. Locate note on fretboard based on note name and pitch.
3. Find name of note on the staff (without fretboard)
4. Find name of note presented on fretboard.
- Automatic detection of problem notes.
KEY SIGNATURES & SCALES
- Key signature support, 1-6 sharps or 1-6 flats.
- Automatic choice of the enharmonic notes for each scale to avoid double sharps or double flats in the key signature.
- Scales: major, minor, melodic minor, harmonic minor, blues, pentatonic, and all modal scales.
FRETS, STRINGS & NOTE SELECTION
- Frets are grouped to restrict the number of notes to be practiced and tested.
- Predefined fret groups, e.g.: 0-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 0-12, 13-17 etc.
- Any custom fret group can be defined.
- The fret group is highlighted as an area on the fretboard.
- Progress of your sight reading skills is maintained per fret group.
- The longest streak record per fret group is saved as a measure for sight reading accuracy.
- Any subset of strings can be part of the highlighted area.
- Notes to be tested can be restricted to only naturals or only notes from a selected scale.
- Reading ahead is an important skill for good sight reading.
- Number of read ahead notes can be varied.
- More than 15 alternate guitar tunings e.g. drop D, NST (new standard tuning) and all fourths tuning.
- Support for left handed guitar.
- Option to have the fretboard shown in perspective (in landscape mode).
- Universal app (iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch).
- Support for all screen sizes, including all iPhone 11 models.
- No ads / in-app purchases.
- iOS 14 tested. Dark mode support.
- Lute tuning added (E A D F# B E).
- iOS 14 tested.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A good way to relate staff notation to the fingerboard
This app seems to be the only one that trains note recognition with staff notation and a fingerboard. The options to set a thinking time and select groups of frets or strings or fingerboard positions makes it a useful teaching aid. It is very adaptable to different levels and abilities. An enjoyable variation is to play the answers on your instrument and wait a moment for confirmation on screen.
It can also be used as an ear training exercise, listening and playing the sounds back without reading the notation.
It would be a useful additional feature to be able to play the answers back on a real guitar without touching the screen. Digital tuners can recognise pitch so it must be possible.
If the app could be developed to generate short musical phrases as sight reading exercises it would be a wonderful tool for teachers and learners. I'd pay a few quid extra for that!
Finally, I'm learning the fretboard notes!
This is a great app and is very effective at helping you get a good handle on the note names on your guitar fretboard as well as on the staff. It's a great tool to turn downtime that would normally be wasted into a productive music practice session - without even requiring your instrument!
I've been meaning to refine my knowledge of the fretboard for a long time and this app has given me the extra kick to actually do it.
Good app - one bug for lefties though
Great app for learning the fret board. Good options for isolating scales, strings etc for focused practice. One minor bug I found that only effects us lefties though. When you select specific strings to practice, say low E and A, the actual strings isolated are High E and B. I.E the selection screen does reflect the fact you have changed to the left handed option and still isolates the equivalent right handed strings. Five stars if this was fixed!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.