Apple Books lets you lose yourself in the best books and audiobooks, all on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Apple Watch. You will find bestsellers, classics, up-and-coming authors and more – all ready to instantly download and enjoy.
• Selection: Explore millions of books and audiobooks from every category including fiction, non-fiction, mysteries, thrillers, romance, children's books, comics and more.
• Book Store: Check out Top Charts and find new releases, limited-time offers and recommendations for you, updated every week.
• Audiobooks: Discover great audiobooks read by actors, authors and other memorable voices.
• Free samples: Preview books and audiobooks while you browse, and download free samples – sometimes before they are available anywhere else.
• Want to Read: Keep track of books and audiobooks you would like to read next by adding them to your Want to Read collection.
• Audiobooks app for Apple Watch: Listen to your favourite audiobooks during your next hike, run or exercise session, straight from your wrist.
• Customise your reading experience: Choose between a selection of fonts and easy-to-read page colours. Use Auto-Night mode and adjust your screen brightness to make reading more comfortable for your eyes. Enabling Scrolling View to move continuously through books instead of turning pages.
• Access any of the books you purchase from Apple Books on all your devices.
• Share your book and audiobook purchases with up to six family members using Family Sharing.
• Organise your books and PDFs into personal collections that will appear on all your devices.
• Access bookmarks, highlights, notes and your current page on all your devices.
Requirements & Store Availability
• The Book Store is available in many countries. The selection of available books varies by country.
• Downloading content from Books or iCloud requires an Apple ID and internet access.
• Adding books and PDFs from outside the Book Store to the Books app requires them to be DRM-free.
• Some PDF documents may not be compatible with Books.
Ratings and Reviews
Good overall but needs attention
I really like reading books on my iPad. But while the reading experience is still good, the page turn animation I still absolute love to this to this day for example, the library organisation is a mess. And since you can’t edit the metadata there isn’t much you can do about it.
For example I have a bunch of Kurt Vonnegut books that are all split between “Kurt Vonnegut” and “Kurt Vonnegut Jr. I also have some Douglas Adam’s books that all get grouped into a series…apart from one.
I understand this can happen with small differences in metadata but give us the control to change it please. Collections help with this to a degree but it’s clunky.
Also the cloud library is downright infuriating, books constantly get undownloaded, even downloaded books will sometimes refuse to open without an internet connection for some unknown reason. I use my iPad when I’m away from a mobile signal so that can be really annoying. If download something I want it to stay downloaded!
If apple don’t want to give this books app the attention it deserves I have a suggestion. Open up the users apple books library to be shared with other apps, like you can with your music library. I can imagine third party developers creating apps that appeal to people who want finer grained control.
While I’m in dream land an apple eink product would be great, or make a deal with Kobo 😉. I do miss the long battery life and eink screens.
Sadly Lacking in Cataloging Features
When I buy books, I want to see them on my bookshelf and I want to organise them. Sadly the app does neither, there is no real cataloging feature where I can open the app and go straight to my photography books and from there select those which cover street photography.
As others have said this app is setup to get you to buy books and record reading stats. The developers need to reimagine what people do when they acquire real books and give a similar experience. I accept that I might want a store and I might want to know what I have read, but that is just detail. firstly I want to see my digital bookshelf and organise my books.
1 request 1 bug
Request the ability to stack books on the main library (without creating a new collection) since several publishers don’t seem to stack there books (manga) and it takes up a lot of space, where I’d like to stack them all together in one group of the same publisher
Since some seem to do it for a few volumes ie- volume 1/2 then 3 is off doing its own thing like it’s a separate book ? Please add this function as reading volumes then having to go out of the stacked books just to read the next volumes seems stupid.
Bug - which seems to be related to the iOS storage bug my books is now at 47 GB which is should really be at 23 GB ( I don’t have that many books for it to be 47GB ) it’s added on 23 GB from no where, so it’s basically doubled the book app size ???
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Financial Info
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Search History
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Distribution International
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2018-2021 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.