With a streamlined design and intuitive editing features, iMovie lets you create Hollywood-style trailers and beautiful movies like never before. Browse your video library, share favourite moments and create beautiful movies that you can edit at resolutions up to 4K. You can even start editing movies on an iPhone or iPad and finish them on a Mac.
Browse and share video
• See all your video clips and photos organised in one place
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Background import lets you begin watching and sharing video instantly
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 29 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customise movie studio logos, cast names and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
Create beautiful 4K and HD movies
• Edit movies at up to 4K resolution with video from iPhone 6s or later, GoPro and other Ultra HD cameras on compatible Macs
• Change focus points or the depth effect for video shot in Cinematic mode on iPhone 13 (requires macOS Monterey)
• Support for 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second for smoother, more life-like action shots
• Import Magic Movie, Storyboard and Movie projects created with iMovie on iPhone or iPad into the timeline
• Enhance your movie by adding titles, transitions, and 3D globes and travel maps
• Speed up and slow down the action with fast-forward and slow-motion effects
• Create sophisticated picture-in-picture, side-by-side and green screen effects
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your iTunes library, songs you’ve recorded in GarageBand and your own narration
Fine-tune every clip
• Instantly improve the look and sound of your video using one-click Enhance
• Give your video a boost with easy-to-use colour controls
• Stabilise shaky video for a smoother picture that’s easier to watch
• Automatically zoom in on faces and glide across panorama photos with the Ken Burns Effect
• Choose from 48 fun video and audio effects
• Send your project to Final Cut Pro and take advantage of advanced editing tools, professional effects, third-party plug-ins and more
Share with friends and family
• Email videos with Mail Drop when signed in to iCloud
• Export a video optimised for YouTube, Facebook and other popular video destinations
• Share any video frame as an image
Create App Previews for the App Store
• Import iPhone and iPad screen recording videos captured with QuickTime Player
• Highlight features with 11 animated titles designed to showcase apps in action
• Export finished videos using the App Preview share option
System Requirements: macOS 11.5.1 or later, 4GB RAM, 3.5GB of available disk space.
• Fixes an issue where video frames may be out of order during playback or export
Ratings and Reviews
Great for simple videos
I've been heavily using iMovie every week since March since I had to help someone transfer their teaching online, part of which included making demonstration videos. I even edited videos for a 2-week online workshop. The software is easy to use, but the new update has changed a few things, notably the fact that videos/text/photos you import onto the timeline no longer have the clip length showing on them – why is this? It is a very useful feature to have, and wasn't an issue in any way, but it now means you have to actively look in the info section to know how long a photo etc is lasting on screen (because there's also no consistent measuring like on other software), which is a time-waster. I'd recommend putting the clip length back on the clips.
Extremely bad for macbook and new users
This software is enough to push me away from Apple entirely! Although free it's not even worth that, the recording function is muffled (works totally fine on voice memo, so no, fault is not mine) and to even add media it's an absolute nightmare regardless of where you store your pics, soundbites etc.
Upload function is rubbish, and in order to record voiceovers in the first place you'll need to fiddle with security controls and the countdown function just gets in the way of recording voiceovers. I can't even see the screen properly to narrate my video because of the stupid countdown numbers. I absolutely hate this application, whoever designed it needs to bring themselves back to reality and realise that it's not only expereinced tech pros who make up Apple clientele. A word to the developers of this appl and Apple : Either provide us a decent step by step guideline on this Godawful application including editing steps that actually create a decent video, or work with (or even buy them!!) more user friendly companies like InShot to create a movie making application that doesn't make us want to throw our laptops across the room.
Not worthy of the ‘apple’ title
I have used Apples for years and iMovie and and off for a while. iMovie has always been at odds with the Apple ethos of ‘it just works’. You would think by now iMovie would have fallen into line with how eveyrthing else works on a Mac but apparently not. For example: you cannot just ‘save’ conventionally in iMovie. iMovie simply will not let you close a project without saving (which is the simplest option if you realy screw up early on in a project) - and even worse, it will then refuse to import the original files again. This and other basic tasks, whilst not difficult, are certainly counter - intuitive. Regrettably, Apple has so bought into the belief that it’s products ‘just work’ that there is no practical information in the ‘Help’ guide (there’s a brief section on audio scrubbing which successfully manages to avoid explaining what 'audio scrubbing' is - quite impressive, in its own way) so you end up having to battle through iMovie with a search engine: I use Google.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Distribution International
- 2.6 GB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 11.5.1 or later.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 1999-2001, 2003-2022 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.