Standard Notes is a simple and private notes app. It allows you to write and sync your notes across all your devices, including your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and web browser.
Private means your notes are end-to-end encrypted, so only you can read your notes. Even we can't read the contents of your notes.
Simple means it does one job and does it well. Standard Notes is a safe and lasting place for your life's work. Our focus is making it easy to write notes wherever you are and syncing them with encryption to all your devices.
Our users love us for:
• Personal Notes
• Tasks & Todos
• Passwords & Keys
• Code & Technical Procedures
• Private Journal
• Meeting Notes
• Cross-platform Scratchpad
• Books, Recipes, & Movies
• Health & Fitness Log
Standard Notes comes free with:
• Seamless sync across all your devices, with easy to use applications on iPhone, iPad, Mac, web browsers, and other platforms.
• Offline access, so you can access your downloaded notes even without a connection.
• No limit on number of devices.
• No limit on number of notes.
• Passcode lock protection, along with Touch ID and Face ID protection.
• A tagging system to organize your notes (like #work, #ideas, #passwords, #crypto).
• The ability to pin, lock, protect, and move notes to trash, which allows you to recover deleted notes until the trash is emptied.
Standard Notes is completely open-source, which means when we say your notes are encrypted with AES-256 encryption, and that only you can read your notes, you don't have to take our word for it. Our code is open to the world to audit.
We made Standard Notes simple because longevity is important to us. We want to make sure we're here, protecting your notes, for the next hundred years. You shouldn't have to find a new notes app every year.
To sustain our development, we offer an optional paid program called Standard Notes Extended. Extended gives you access to powerful tools including:
• Productivity editors (like Markdown, Code, Spreadsheets)
• Beautiful themes (like Midnight, Focus, Solarized Dark)
• Powerful cloud tools including daily backups of your encrypted data delivered to your email inbox every day, or backed up to your cloud provider (like Dropbox and Google Drive).
You can learn more about Extended at standardnotes.org/extended.
We're always happy to talk, whether it be a question, thought, or issue. Please feel free to email us any time at email@example.com. When you take the time to send us a message, we'll be sure to do the same.
- Fixes issue where themes would not properly activate when selected for first time.
- Other bug fixes and improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Just keeps getting better // great developer
I bought into the Standard Notes ecosystem about a year ago after losing a bunch of changes on a Simplenote glitch between my laptop and phone. Never had any issues with Standardnotes - not one. Totally trust it for all my work and creative projects. They/he always work on putting security first, support is awesome w/ great support community, and the sync is flawless. You’ll read reviews saying the UI isn’t very good, but v3.0.0(current version) is a huge improvement and really gives you everything you’d hope for in a modern notes app. Nailed it. I’ve tried literally every cross system notes app and I only trust and use Standardnotes. No bells. No whistles. Simply the best.
Feels solid and trustworthy
So in this age where every new app is trying to make money by mining our private thoughts and information and then selling it to companies who use our own information against us S.notes is a welcomed app.
They feel innovative and with a good head on the shoulders.
S.notes is now my main notes app.
Poor UI, too barebones
I love the sync and privacy features right out of the box but no markdown in the free version is ridiculous. I’m not asking for themes or new features, only markdown formatting which even the most basic of notes app have. Without it I’m seriously considering other places for my notes.
The UI of the app version is frankly ill-suited to a large iPad screen, it’s just the iPhone version with more dead space and all notes are in one big list. You can filter it by tags but it’s still a poor UI compared to the browser version. According to the preview here, markdown is only available for the desktop and browser versions anyway so even if I bought the extensions there’s no reason for me to use the app over these other platforms.
Developer Response ,
Hi Ashes, please take a look at our new 3.0 update. It features a brand new UI, and a new interface for the iPad as well. I think you'll enjoy it much more than v2!
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.